Chapter Sixty-Two

I stand in front of the sink with the boy dumped into it, his top clothing off while all of us work on cleaning him.

Why would they bring a child into this, why must they always bring kids into a war that isn't theirs?

I never was supposed to be here, but my father made it my business forcing my sister and me to fight.

Why must my life be planned out for me before I can talk, why fill these kids' heads with propaganda?

Let them be children.

"Adelita, you're going to cut his skin." I hear Hange's voice as a hand is placed on my shoulder, I remove my hands from his body as I apologize.

"I got lost in my head."

Connie and Jean share a look before Connie places a hand on me, "you know what. Take a break, we can handle this. Go eat some of Nicolo's food."

Placing a piece of my hair behind my ear I frown, "No. It's okay.-" I try to say but only get cut off by Jean now.

"Adelita. Go." He tells me, shocked I listen feeling annoyed by them bossing me around.

I mock them while walking out of the kitchen, only to be met with a gun pointed at my face.

A gasp leaves my mouth as I take some steps backwards, there are so many of them I can't do this by myself I'll just be killed.

So, I do the only thing I know I place my hands up showing I mean no harm.

"Is something wrong?" Hange's voice is heard, I freeze up as they leave the kitchen with the others following behind.

"There you are, Commander." The person I hate more than myself speaks, Floch.

How did I let myself be held at gunpoint by him, I'm pathetic.

"What's going on?"

"I'm glad you showed up. If anyone knows where Zeke's being held, it's you. You'll have to drop whatever you're doing and take us to him."

Who the hell does he think he is?

"Wait. We have no intention of fighting you. Didn't you get the military's proposal?" Hange speaks, their body moving like crazy as they are just trying to get the guns lowered.

"We did, and we promptly rejected it. We refuse to negotiate with your military."

A gasp leaves Hange's mouth as their composure falls a little bit, "I see. And why is that?"

"The decision came from Eren. He knew Commander Pyxis would never leave the fate of the island in our hands willingly. And I agree. I'm sure that Pyxis is frantically devising a plan to ambush Eren and steal the Founder, even as we speak."

I begin to place my hands down only for a gun to be thrusted closer to me, I place them back up.

"You have quite the imagination. Or did this come from your sources in the Garrison Regiment? You have comrades undercover there, don't you?"

"Do I look like one of your eager lackeys who's going to answer any questions that you ask?" Floch moves, finally turning the safety off with his gun.

"Get moving. I'm willing to prove that I don't answer to you if it comes down to it, but I'm hoping you'll just come along quietly."

I move my hand to play with my hair only for Floch to yell at me.

"Keep your hands up!"

Connie steps in front of him, "don't yell at her!"

I push my hands out, "it's okay. I'm fine, see hands still up."

Even though my words are to help soothe Connie, they were more for me. Am I really fine? Is anyone?