Chapter Sixty-Eight

The chills that run up my spine I can't even describe, it's something so different.

Something I can't even recall feeling before.

His screams never leave my head.

Not a day goes by, that I don't think about what I did to him.

"As I recall. You told me Annie had something to do with his death, didn't you? Did you ever ask her for details? I bet she'll tell you."

My mind begins to play through the events of what happened that day, it's like I'm reliving it.

"I stole his ODM gear and left him where the Titans could get to him. Marco got eaten because of me-."

"Annie was only following the orders I was giving her." Reiner's voice cuts Annie off, the anger I feel towards him can never be described in words.

"During the fight in Trost, Marco overheard me and Bertholdt discussing something secret. If we'd let him go, he could've exposed us, so we decided to silence him. We figured nobody would think twice about a Scout being eaten by a Titan."

A lump has formed in my throat as Reiner begins to go into detail about what happened.

"By then Adelita had found us, she was against it all. Marco was her friend after all, but we couldn't let our secret out. She kept crying, screaming for us to not do it but we didn't care. Bertholdt pinned her down."

"Reiner stop." I try to speak for him to stop, but he won't.

"He held her down on the roof, and she watched as I ordered Annie to strip off his ODM gear. Then we just left him there. Marco was stranded on that rooftop without a rig, and a Titan got to him."

By now tears have once again started falling down my face, I don't want to relive this.

I've tried so hard to forget it.

"So... Did he say anything before he was killed?" Jean asks.

Reiner doesn't answer so instead I do.

"He was crying... he just wanted to know why we couldn't talk it out."

I cover my face as I cry into my hands.

"He told me I was still his friend, even when I killed him." The tears don't stop they only keep growing, I hate myself for what I did to Marco.

I could've saved him. I wish I saved him.

"I stood and watched the Titan as it devoured Marco, and then a switch flipped. And I couldn't figure out why it was happening."

I freeze removing my hands from my face and looking to Reiner.

Because what the fuck?

"I just snapped. I flew into a rage hellbent on avenging Marco. I cut down the Titan myself."

Jean doesn't let him continue.

"We get it, Reiner. You're saying the guilt of carrying out your mission screwed with your head."

"Don't forgive me. I'm truly worthless."

He's right about that.

"I said we get it." Jean grits his teeth, you can see that he is becoming angry.

"I'm sorry," Reiner speaks one last time, and then it goes to hell.

Jean stands up rushing over to Reiner, his apology only pissing Jean off more.

Jean doesn't miss a heartbeat before he gets on Reiner and begins to pound the shit out of him, It makes me laugh.

My tears have stopped, and my mouth is letting out a sound of joy, it's a pleasure watching Reiner get what he deserves.