Chapter Seventy-Three

We have discovered our strategy to help the hostages Floch has taken, while also trying to bring down the count of our enemy.

Armin and Connie try to steal away the boat with the flying one, Jean will be on the lookout with Hange. Reiner, and Annie will become Titans when needed. As that is our last resort, no one wants any more lives taken.

The main goal was for Mikasa, and me too, I guess.

Our goal is to help save all the people Floch has taken hostage, while also killing whoever if intended.

Mikasa can handle it alone I believe, but she insisted I come with her instead of being with Hange and Jean.

That's where we end up, sitting on top of a roof and waiting. Waiting for the right time to bring everything into motion.

"Mikasa, I'm happy to have met you."

She looks at me as I continue talking. "We may not be super close, but I adore you. All those years that Annie was gone, you acted as my big sister. You protected me. It's all happening so fast; we never really get a quiet moment. And we could die at any moment. So, I just wanted you to know."

Before she can even get a word out, I start to speak again.

"And I'm sorry... You'll never get to be happy; you may have moments of happiness but truly you can't ever be happy. Because Eren's going to die, you won't ever get the life you wanted with him. You love him, more than I love Armin. But that's not enough to stop what's happening. That's not enough to prevent what's already set in stone. Some people are just born to die."

Mikasa's mouth closes, tears falling from her eyes.

"It's not your fault." She mutters to me, her voice so low I could barely hear.

"It's not. But I feel guilty a lot, I'm happy with the love of my life. You'll never get to feel that no matter how many people you meet, they're not Eren. I don't want to live a happy life if you can't ever have one."

Her hand falls over mine.

"I want my sister to live a happy life, one she's proud of."

My heart swells at her words, it brings me back to the night in the forest. The night when Annie told me the same thing.

Even if I love Mikasa as a sister, it reminds me I only have one. One true sister, who has always loved me from the minute I was born, even if it was never shown.

My hand leaves from under Mikasa's as I encase her in a hug, her hands smoothing over my hair.

The short hair I have that was to copy hers.

The breaths of air leave my mouth becoming more and more shaky as I begin to cry. Crying in Mikasa's arms as we comfort each other.

"I want you to be happy, I want you to be with Eren and have kids. I don't want you to be miserable. I'm so sorry."

My cries echo loudly as my body continues to tremble.

"I'm glad I met you too. I want you to be as happy as humanly possible, you make Armin happy. Be with him and that'll keep me smiling. Once he dies, I'll keep you going."

Pulling away I move aside her bangs, stretching myself upwards I place a soft kiss on her forehead.

A soft blush rounds her cheeks as she wipes her tears.

"Thank you." She breathed out as her words stopped, and everything went back to silence between us.

The only thing breaking it was not a voice, but instead four clean and clear gunshots.