Higher-ups ~ Ch45

¤ (Y/n)'s Point Of View ¤

We had dinner at a nearby Vietnamese restaurant, where Nanami was able to eat one of his favourite meals, Pho. It was a nice and quiet meal. Not many people were at the restaurant which allowed us to have that much needed down time after that fight. Nanami semed exausted after the fight but didn't seem to be hurt too badly, while I was pretty sure that I dislocated my shoulder at one point. But I was okay, Sukuna healed me within minutes.

While we ate, I tried to push on the subject of Yuuji joining us to eat and in fact almost got Nanami to crack, but then Kiyotaka messaged us to say that Yuuji was having dinner at Yoshino Junpei's house his Junpei's mother. It was a weird development but I managed to move past it, knowing I could ask Yuuji on how that opportunity arose in the first place. I couldn't help but wonder if Yuuji had mentioned my name to Junpei. And if he did, then did Junpei connect the dots?

I would have to wait until we got home to hear any answers on the matter. I wasn't sure if Yuuji was there yet or still at Junpei's house. I feel like we don't get much time alone anymore, and when we did- Sukuna was there too.
"Do you know what we have planned for tomorrow?" I asked Kento as we walked down the streets. The sky was now a dark navy blue and the cresent moon made a lovely appearance above us as we made our way home.

"Not in the slightest- and Gojo hasn't been much help lately on the matter either." Kento sighed as he adjusted his sleeves. He seemed stressed. But I guess that was only a fair reaction when your friend left you to teach the vessel of Sukuna so suddenly. Nanami wasn't even a teacher, and I bet any slither of conviction to be one has been elimated now because of this experience.

"Where's Satoru been for the past few days anyway? I haven't seen him since the day yiu and Yuuji met." I realised, thinking back to that day with slight bitterness. There were things said by Nanami that day that I wasn't too proud of, and other things that I didn't quite understand at the time but now are starting to make slightly more sense.
"He's had constant meetings with the higher ups and has been helping prepare for the Kyoto event next month." Kento explained as he sipped on his cup of to-go coffee. He's the type of coffee drink that drinks caffeine to sleep. I never understood it.

I awed with realisation, honestly having forgotten that the Kyoto goodwill event was still a thing. I never really enjoyed it, especially since it wasn't much of an individual challenge but rather a group challenge against curses.
"Dad...can I ask you something?" I then asked hesitantly, biting the inside of my cheek as I peaked up at Nanami who hummed in acknowledgement.

"Why do you and Gojo hate the higher ups so much?..." I asked slowly. I didn't miss the way Nanami flinched at the question, his face void from emotion which made it hard to guess what he was thinking. All I could guess was that this was a question he didn't expect and probably didn't want to answer.
"You already know the answer to that question, (Y/n)." The man said, simply brushing me off as he slightly increased his speed. He probably thought the closer we were to home, the quicker I'd drop the subject.

But he was wrong. I didn't know the answer to that question. I knew that he hated the higher ups 'because of the way they handle and run things'. But that didn't tell me anything. The higher ups must have done something to cause Nanami and Gojo to have such little faith in them- to hate them with passion.
"Yes, because you don't agree with the way they do things- but what does that mean? What have they done?..." I asked him with an intrigued tone, keeping my voice low to not anger him in any way. At any moment he could chose to not reply to my questions at all if I push him too far.

"Too much that they shouldn't have..." Nanami mumbled to himself, loud enough that I could hear him. This only made me more curious. I needed examples. I needed stories.
"They make decisions without feeling...without regard for others. That's what you need to understand." Nanami explained with a sigh. Decisions that could possibly wipe out an entire clan?