Trick of the Light ~ Ch63

¤ (Y/n)'s Point Of View ¤

"Where are we going again?" Yuuji asked as he once again shifted uncomfortably in his chair, staring out the window with a small frown. Yuuji has always hated trains. He found them unbelievably boring, whilst I on the hand enjoyed the time I had to sit and admire the scenery.
"Nanami gave us a mission in Shinjoku." I told him for the third time. We still had another half an hour untill our arrival, another half an hour for Yuuji to whine.

"Why so far?" Yuuji groaned, dropping head his against the back of his seat with pure frustration. Honestly, even I was suprised with how unusually far this mission was. But judging by the fact Nanami could hold eye-contact with me today, I quickly understood why.
"He probabaly couldn't even look at us after this morning. We weren't exactly quiet." I told him pointedly, making Yuuji's eyes go wide in horror.

"Wait, really?" He asked me scaredly, watching as I nodded with a slacked jaw.
"Oh, damn it! He's going to hate me even more now! I'm never going to be able to have a sleep over again!"  Yuuji whined, throwing his head back with shame and squeezing his eyes shut. He hit his head a few times, groaning out loudly. I could only chuckle in amusement.

"You'll be fine." I comforted. If there was anything that Nanami was good at was avoiding uncomfortable situations. He'd avoid for a few days and then pretend it never happened to save face. Though what Yuuji said about the sleepover but was probably true. But I definetly would not tell him that. I watched as Yuuji sunk further into his chair, kicking out his feet like a child with a pout.

I let my eyes wonder around the train cart to a curse through the glass doors that led to the next carriage over. The curse looked unhappy, sitting in an empty seating beside the window. It stared out the window solemnly, eyes downturned. I saw it the moment we sat down but I couldn't keep my eyes on it for too long or Yuuji would notice it too. And if he noticed it, he'd want to exorsise it without question.

"Are you hungry?" I suddenly asked him, knowing what his answer would be since neither of us had breakfast, Nani having rushed us out of the house the moment I opened my bedroom door.
"Yeah, starving." Yuuji whined with a frown, patting his stomach as if it were some type of growling beast.
"I heard there's a food carriage at the end of ths train. I'll get us some snacks." I offered with a small smile as I took to my feet.

"Oh! I'll go with you!" Yuuji told me, collecting his hoodie and my bag under his arm as he also attempted to stand.
"No, it's fine. You should guard our table in case someone tries to take it after we leave." I reasoned, hoping this was enough to make him stay. Yuuji awed in realisation as he sank back into his seat.
"Ah, yeah. You're right." He nodded naively.

I then grabbed my purse and rushingly headed for the door into the next cart. I gave Yuuji a quick glance before I slipped into the next carriage, closing the door behind me without a loud enough sound to make Yuuji want to look back. Once I was sure he hadn't turned back, I quietly slipped myself into the seat infront of the curse. Curse barely paid me any mind, glancing at me for a mere second before turning back to the window.

"You need to get off at the next stop." I told the curse softly, it no longer acknowledging that I was here anymore. My brows furrowed as I studied it briefly, painful gash marks decorating most of it's body. I wondered if it was the fear of trains that created this curse or the fear of fatal train accidents.
"There's another sorcerer on the cart with me. If he sees you, he'll exorsise you." I warned, a pleading tone in my voice.

The curse shrugged dismissively at my words, either it was not afraid of sorcerers or it truly did not care.
"You don't care?" I guessed with a tilted head. The curse did not answer, simply staring out of the window with that same sad look. This was by far not normal behaviour for curses.
"What happened?" I asked it with a small frown. It looked at me hopelessly as it's hand dripped at glump of slime onto the table.