Songbird: Dad!Jake Sully

Request: I had this really weird idea during choir lol Could you possibly do a one-shot where the reader is Jake's child and they are in a choir rehearsal? When Jake and the rest of his kids come to pick them up from choir, they overhear the reader rehearsing for a solo and they talk to them about it, and the reader is all embarrassed. Reader is Na'vi, btw

A/N: The song linked is the lyrics that the reader is singing in the story!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone had their role in the family. Your dad was the Olo'eyktan, your mother was the future Tsahik/Hunter, your older brother was the next Olo'eyktan in training, Kiri was the healer, and Lo'ak was the troublemaker. Tuk was Tuk, and that left you, no one quite knew what your roles were yet but you did, you were a songbird. You had loved singing from a young age, you would always quietly sing along with your mother when she used to sing to Tuk, and as you got older you would always sing when you were alone, never around your family unsure of how they would react especially your dad.

"Where's y/n? Shouldn't she be home by now?" Your dad asked your mom as she prepared dinner.

"She's at one of her after-school activities, she usually stays behind an hour or two after school on certain days." Your mom said as your dad was even more confused.

"What after-school activities, I didn't know she was a part of anything?" He asked.

"I think she does archery, art, and maybe something else. She's been trying out different things, you are more than welcome to go pick her up if you want to see for yourself." Your mother said to him.

"I wanna come! I've been wondering what y/n gets up to after school." Lo'ak said to your dad and Neteyamagreed that he wanted to come as well.

You were in the choir room, working on the solo for the school's recital in a few weeks, and your teacher had stepped out to go do some things while you practice. You still hadn't told your parent's that you had gotten the part in the recital yet, too nervous for their reaction more so your dad's. You shook the worries from your mind as you began to sing the song you were gonna sing at the recital wanting to practice as much as you could.

Siúil, siúil, siúil a rúin

Siúil go sochair agus siúil go ciúin

Siúil go doras agus éalaigh liom

Siúil, siúil, siúil a rúin

Siúil go sochair agus siúil go ciúin

Siúil go doras agus éalaigh liom

Is go dté tú mo mhúirnín slán

Your dad and brother arrived at the school and at the room where the receptionist said you were and stopped when they heard singing, was that you? They all peered through the window where they saw you in their softly singing with your back facing the door.

"Did you two know?" He asked his sons who shook their heads no.

"Mr. Sully, Neyetam, Lo'ak, will we be seeing you guys at the recital in a few weeks?" Your teacher asked unaware you hadn't told anyone.

"Recital? Why would be at the recital?" Your dad asked confused.

"Because your daughter has the main solo... oh she didn't tell you? Did she?" Your teacher asked as your dad confirmed her suspicions.

"Well your daughter has a lovely singing voice and can be shy about it at times, but she does have the main solo of the recital and I'm sure she would like it if the whole family was there." Your teacher said as he nodded still trying to figure out why you didn't tell him.

"We'll be there." He said to her as she walked into the room, alerting you as you turned and saw your dad and brothers with her making your blood run cold because they weren't supposed to find out about this.

"Y/n, your dad and brothers are here to take you home, you sounded wonderful. Keep practicing!" Your teacher said to you as you grabbed your bag.

"Sis, why didn't you tell us that you could sing like that?" Lo'ak asked as you guys walked home.

"Yeah, why didn't you? I've heard you humming to Tuk or around the house but never like that." Neteyam said.

"Was embarrassed is all." You said quietly as your dad looked at you, planning on talking to you later.

"Mom! It seems your singing genes have passed on to y/n!" Lo'ak said as you guys returned home making you cringe which didn't go unnoticed by your dad.

"What are you talking about Lo'ak? Y/n dear what is he talking about?" She asked confused.

"Y/n has been going to choir practice..." Neteyam said.

"Nete please don't..." You said pleading with him not to tell her still awaiting your dad's reaction to you lying to him.

"and she got the main solo in the school's recital in a few weeks." Lo'ak finished making her smile.

"Y/n dear is this true?" Your mom asked, see she already knew that you could sing, countless times when you thought she was asleep or away, she would hear you singing to yourself or to Tuk, but she never pushed until you were ready to tell everyone.

"Yes it's true, now can please drop it?" You asked.

"Alright, guys ease up on your sister, and let's eat." Your dad said as you thanked him.

After dinner, your parents gave you some time to process everything that had happened before they decided to talk to you about it. You were sitting in your room craving a branch while softly humming to yourself when they walked in.

"Hey baby girl, can we talk to you?" Your dad asked as they took a seat across from you.

"Sure." You said preparing yourself for what was about to happen.

"Y/n why didn't tell us you were in choir? Or that you had gotten the main solo?" Your mom asked.

"I was embarrassed and worried that I was disappointing you guys by pursuing singing." You admitted to them.

"Ma child, I've always known you've had the gift of singing since you were little, you have no need to be embarrassed and I could never be disappointed in you." Your mom said squeezing your hand.

"I know mom. It was more so about dad..I've always felt like I needed to do something to prove myself worthy of Toruk Makto daughter and by singing I felt like I was letting you down. I just didn't want to let you down, daddy I'm sorry." You said looking at him as his heart broke.

"Hey, hey you don't have to prove yourself to me or to anyone. When I'm with you guys I'm just dad not the Olo'eyktan or Toruk Makto, baby when I heard you singing today I was so happy and then to hear that you got the main solo made me even more proud of you. You could never let me down ever." He said hugging you.

"So your not mad at me for hiding it?" You asked quietly.

"No we're not, we understand. Just come talk to us next time, okay?" They said as you nodded your head feeling your mom join in on the hug. 

From that day forward, you parents would always hearing you sing around the house or sometimes in your room which made them smile especially your day, he could be having a bad day but when he comes home and hears you singing, his spirits lift automatically.

As for the recital, your family was there front row cheering loudly and you locked eyes with your dad who told you that you got this as you began your performance.

"Y/n you did so good!" Your siblings said hugging you as you thanked them.

"Beautiful ma y/n, just beautiful." Your mom said hugging you and placing a kiss on your forehead.

"I'm so proud of you babygirl, for getting up there and preforming despite how nervous you were." Your dad said hugging you and bringing a smile to your face.

"Thanks daddy, that means a lot coming from you." You said.