Only Want You: Tonowari

You had finished teaching your classes for the day and were in your mauri preparing to rest a little bit before dinner tonight. You were getting ready to shut the flap to your mauri when your best friend and crush Tonowari came bursting through it making you shocked to see him. 

"What happened to hello? Can I come in?" You asked him as he helped you shut the flap to your mauri. 

"I'm sorry, I just needed a break from them. I can go anywhere on this island without someone throwing themselves at me in hopes that I'll choose them as my mate." He said.

"You do know that your mother knows you hide here? She could just tell them, that you are hiding here and then I will have all those people here bombarding my mauri." You said rolling your eyes. 

"I highly doubt she will, she doesn't even like half of them anyways. I'm sorry for just showing up like this, you were the only one I knew that would understand." He said squeezing your hands. 

"It's fine. I was just about to take a nap before dinner since the kids wore me out today. But you are welcome to stay here as long as your need." You said to him. 

"A nap does sound pretty nice right now, Do you mind if I join you?" He asked you. 

You patted the spot next to you and soon enough you could feel his warm body against you before he wrapped his arm around you making you silently smile. You knew that Tonowari would never see you the way that you saw him which was okay, so you just took these moments when you could. 

"Where is that boy?" Tonowari's mom asked searching all around for him until her eyes landed on your mauri.

She walked over and gently peeked her head in and smiled when she saw you two sound asleep in each other's arms. She had always liked you and thought you were perfect for her son and that's why she was going to push him to look at you differently because you two may not see it but she could tell that you both cared for each other on a deeper level than friends. 

It was a few hours later, and you were off talking and laughing with your friends while Tonowari watched you with a small smile. Your laugh was one of Tonowari's favorite things about you, he had developed a crush on you as you two got older which is why he was having such a good time choosing a mate because the only one he wanted as a mate was you. 

"My son, may I offer some wisdom on the whole mate situation?" His mom asked snapping him out of his thoughts.

"Ma...." He said not wanting to have this conversation. 

"Just listen for a minute......Have you thought about choosing y/n?" She asked shocking him. 

"Ma she doesn't like me like that." He said. 

"Oh, how wrong you are my son. I see the way you both look at each other and plus y/n would be a great tsahik, everyone in the clan loves her." She said as Tonowari processed her words. 

"Just think about it." She said squeezing his shoulders before leaving. 

That night Tonowari, laid there thinking about what his mom had said about you and that's when he had decided that he would present you with the courting gift that he had made for all those years and tell you the truth about how he really felt and prayed that his mom was right about you liking him. 

The next day you were out for a walk along the beach when one of the villagers told you that Tonowari requested to see you in his Mauri, making you a little confused as you followed them over to his tent wondering what he needed.

"What's going on Tonowari?" You asked as he shut the flap to his mauri. 

"I have finally chosen a mate." He said making your heart drop. 

"You have? That's great, who is the lucky girl?" You asked him as you tried not to cry. 

"It's you." He said making you confused. 

"What?" You asked. 

"Y/n you are the only one I have ever wanted or seen a future with, I'm sorry it took me so long to accept my feelings. I was just scared that you didn't feel the same way and it wasn't until my mother said something last night at dinner that I realized them. You have always been by my side supporting me and my dreams even before I was chosen as the next Olo'eyktan, you've always been there for me and have always seen me. Y/n I would feel so honored and lucky to have you as my mate, if you choose to accept me that is." He said as the tears fell down your face. 

"Yes I accept you, You don't know how long I have waited and hoped that you would say that to me." You said wrapping your arms around him. 

"I made this for you a few years ago when the idea of a mate was first brought up to us, I only ever saw you as my mate." He said handing you a necklace. 

"I love it, will you put it on me?" You asked him.

After putting your necklace on, you turned around and pressed a gentle kiss on his lips.