Chapter 36- Reading you

Hello, my lovelies. Sorry for being MIA. School can be very draining. Thank you for your support:) Enjoy.

I was irritated when I realized we don't necessarily need to raise our hands to knock

However, every single person I've encountered didn't know it any differently. I gave it a lot of thought and as I am a woman of the 21st century my questions led me into the deep ocean of valueless knowledge. According to the internet, the gesture conveys meaning and purpose. Additionally, for some people, it may be a habit they have picked up over time without even realizing it.

Simple as that and still my thoughts wander back to that brief search every time my fist strikes the wood and my heart pumps in my chest. I am waiting for someone to open the door but hoping they won't.

Welcome to the complex world of social anxiety. At least the tiny part left after hundreds of hours of therapy and pills. But somehow I feel less of that with you. If I wrote you a letter I would tell you that I lost control and it happens all over again when our eyes meet. But not in this incredibly distorted way. In the same way, Albert Einstein countered that mass and energy are the same physical entity, your power has strength over those things that scare me. And you scare them away.

Usually it only takes a fraction of a second to consciously perceive a sound. As my brain registers the noise was too low for him to hear I immediately raise my hand to knock again.

It doesn't come to a second thump before the door opens and Kaden, this beautiful nightmare poisons my thoughts with images my mind deeply believes are happening in a different reality. I guess I haven't stopped fighting it because I made those happy ending scenarios of my life so many times only to be punched across the face by reality. But who wouldn't hold onto such splendid thoughts if it was the only way to open my eyes in the morning?

"Come in, they will be here in a minute." He explains in a cool tone, his eyes on his watch.

Before I could respond, he turns around and I close the door shut behind us. I take my time, turning around slowly before following him.

"I read your last essay." Kaden startles me and I take another step so I see his expression.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me." The humor in his voice clearly audible.

"How? I- what?!"

"I have read your writing on the female perspective in novels written by men. Interesting." He states it as a compliment but not like when you call someone a random endearment after them complimenting you first. He seems intrigued as if it's not the first time the topic came up in his thoughts.

I pull the flesh of my cheek between my teeth, narrowing my eyes to his back. I don't like him nice, do I? It's confusing... it's building too much trust.

I clear my throat, looking around the room, acting bored. I travel my gaze from one tile on the floor to the next, counting them, knowing his attention is on me. I take my hand and hold it in front of my mouth to yawn.