Chapter 37- Chess

„And now, princess: The most elegant move to win a game

„And now, princess: The most elegant move to win a game. It is known as the "Opera House Mate" or "The Arabian Mate." It involves delivering a checkmate with two knights and creating a visually stunning pattern on the board. Look, and look closely." Kaden points his index finger toward the chess board, while the girl watches closely his every move.

"White shifts their knight to F7, delivering a check: Nf7+. Black moves their king to E8: Ke8. White moves their other knight to G6, delivering a checkmate: Nf7#. It resembles an opera house or an Arabian architectural pattern, hence its name. Do you know what an opera is?" He continues shifting his focus between the board and her, to make sure she is able to follow along.

Valeria shakes her head but looks up at Kaden full of pure admiration and excitement as he slowly explains the moves to her.

"It's like a play or a musical, but instead of speaking their lines, opera characters sing their lines with many other instruments. If you want to go, the best seats I can find will be available to us." He offers softly before continuing his fascination.

"I think this move is as impressive as any opera and a great way to conclude a chess game. It isn't easy but you are a smart girl, right? You can do that."

A tinge of blush creeps up her olive-skinned cheeks as she hides her nervous smile, tucking her head down and nervously shrugging her shoulders. 

We have been here for almost 6 hours but exhaustion is obviously unknown to her. All she does is listen and learn. And this girl is talented. I am fully aware that she doesn't understand everything but how much effort she puts in to be better is astonishing. And how fast she processed the game is remarkable but it makes me realize what an impressive future this girl has, if only given the opportunity.

Kaden smiles slightly, an expression that comes so naturally at this moment. I am sure he doesn't even notice it as it forms on his lips. A subtle look he flashes me telling me he thinks the same. How can he not?

'One phone call from me and she's sitting in a parliament.' She is incredible. Darwin will beg her to come to them." He whisper-yells in French from the couch in my direction, where I am standing a couple of feet away leaning against the wooden table.

In order to not exclude Val, he switches to English and asks me, "What is your favorite move in chess?".

"Out of all chess moves or to finish?" I reply, curious if he is interested in my opinion or trying to figure me out. Trying to interpret my reply.

"Tell me whatever you've got but I originally meant finishing." I figure it's my first guess as he keeps the conversation with me alive but moves along in the lesson to fork and pin maneuvers.

"Mhm... well checkmate is always a good one," I reply, somewhere between a joke and the obvious truth, rubbing my index finger against my temple.

He doesn't smile and waits patiently for my response.