Chapter 38- Their actions talked to me

At first, I am not sure if the question is meant as rhetorical but then his grin turns into an unsure but interested expression

At first, I am not sure if the question is meant as rhetorical but then his grin turns into an unsure but interested expression. Kaden takes his hand to his neck and after a tight squeeze that leaves his skin burning red, he nervously rubs it over.

I smile gently, hoping it will ease whatever painful thoughts spiral inside his head.

"I mean you aren't necessarily kind to me but sure. I think if you tried it, you would succeed. I don't think anyone is born to be an exceptional parent but if there is will and love... You are still young but you are for both kids exactly what they need right now, so if you want to find a nice woman to complete the package. Why not?" I shrug my shoulders, breathing shudderingly and combing through my hair with one hand.

There it is.

This sudden emotional drop. Where I am alright in one moment and then blink, without any obvious reason, my heart sinks to my stomach.

There is a crash inside me, gasoline setting my heart aflame.

But I still keep a smile on my lips because how can I explain a situation I cannot understand on my own? So I keep going. I keep talking.

"And statistically your kids wouldn't have to worry about anything. Money, high-quality genes, both in beauty and the brain. That's a good base to build on." I smile at him, trying to loosen up his stern look.

"Thank you for saying that, Ally. That's...yeah, that's kind of you. And I mean if you think I am such a good dad we could always make..." With his wink a boyish grin follows.

But he stops himself and ends his teasing, or whatever it is between us.

His forced smile eases up and drops down. As if he just reminded himself that this teasing shouldn't happen. Every touch and word has consequences.

Kaden adjusts the collar of his shirt when he abruptly changes the subject and walks towards the kids again. Even when my head begs to be buried in a pillow, my aching skin pressing against the freshly washed sheet, I pull it up and take all the energy left within me.

"So, how is living with Elizabeth? Are she and her husband nice?" What initially appears as a distraction becomes a genuine question. I follow him to the couch, letting myself down next to Elias, the expensive cushion making me want to stay there forever.

Valeria's lips part, but before she can even come up with an answer the older boy next to her jumps in.

"They are nice. Why wouldn't they?"
Before, I would have been glad to see Elias' smile, but now I am uneasy. I frown at the question because it is filled with accusations.

"Easy there, soldier. No reason to get defensive. I am just asking because Aleandra and I have thought about Elizabeth's dinner invitation. I think tomorrow would be a great time." Kaden explains calmly while I study Elias's expression.