Chapter 40- Calming the storm

And so I stay outside and I couldn't be happier with this decision as I feel the weight falling off my chest

I look up at the sky and the moment I close my eyes I feel the first snowflakes landing on my face. A bright smile beames on my face and I start to laugh out loud. And I don't stifle the noises coming out of my mouth as I start to spin around in circles.
In minutes it's full-on snowing and I grin because the kids are safe and this is the first time it's snowing in New York this winter.

My first New Yorker snow. It's officially winter, baby. I feel like a little kid as I start to jump in the snow and even though it's not even cold I am rubbing my hands against each other as I am excited to show Kaden that I am the best person to make snowballs.

And that he will cry getting them in my face. I let out another giggle as I think about his grimace.

"And maybe we got lost in translation. Maybe I asked for too much but maybe this thing was a masterpiece..."
From my full-blown singing to my voice dropping it only takes seconds.

From me jumping like a enthusiastic kid to my legs freezing to the ground it only takes Kaden's look as he suddenly stands only a few feet away from me.

I didn't even notice him approaching me but then he is standing in front of me, his face on his palms that he holds low in front of him.

His gaze travels to mine and I want to ask what's wrong but nothing comes out and neither seems like he can speak.

He drops his hands and for a moment he just stares at me.

"Aleandra." There is a tremor running through his voice.
"I walked inside. I-I wanted to get my scarf, right? And everything was fine before, right?"

"Kaden?"
"We were inside for over two hours and they were fine, right?"

"Right?" He starts to raise his trembling voice as I don't reply but not at me but somehow at himself. His

I take fast steps towards him but don't touch him to find out what he needs.

"Yeah, but I don't understand."

"There were so many pills in his hands. He had like 20 bottles, he could barely carry them. Oxycodone. I don't get it. He is a teenager, why does a teenager have so many bottles of such a strong opioid often used for moderate to severe pain relief in his hands? And hydromorphone. He carried fentanyl, Ally. Fentanyl and arnica cream. He had arnica cream, Aleandra." He looks at me with pleading eyes.

"Who? Elias?"
He just nods.

"I surprised him. He tried to hide them from me and said Elizabeth already took a nap. I saw it in his face. He was terrified. I swear those pills were not for her or her husband. I didn't know what to do."
His voice starts to shake and then his entire posture starts to weaken and he tries to stand but his legs are so wobbly he has to lean onto me.