Eggs x Reader

For @Amiprincess1125

It was night time and your father had already locked you up in your bedroom to sleep. He does it every night so that you stop wandering, but he isn't as clever as he thinks.

You hop out of bed and put on your coat before walking over to the window and sliding it open. You take a quick look outside before you step out the window and slide down the drain pipe.

Once your feet touch the ground you wipe your hands on your coat and then walk quietly over to the front door of your house. Near the door, under the floorboards, is a lantern with a candle. You take it out, light the candle, put the floorboards back, and then take the lantern as you walk away from your house.

There have been rumors about creatures called Boxtrolls, who eat babies for breakfast and chew on human skin for entertainment. You don't believe a word, though.

When you were young, a rattling noise woke you up from your sleep. You peeked out your window and saw two small boxes with heads going through the garbage. When a car drove past they hid and then ran away.

You told your father about what you saw and he told you that they were Boxtrolls who were mean and vicious and to stay away from them. But they didn't seem vicious at all; they seemed scared.

Ever since then you've wanted to actually meet one. If you were wrong then, oh well, you're dead, but if you were right then maybe you could help them.

You walk along a path near houses with your lantern lighting up the way. You look around garbage cans, sewers, and general rubbish on the ground to see if you can find any but you don't.

After almost half an hour you sigh and give up. Maybe tomorrow night. You turn around ready to walk home but then suddenly you can hear rummaging in a nearby garbage can.

The noise scared you but you approach the bin anyway. As you get closer you can see the bin wobbling slightly. With one hand tightly holding onto your lantern and the other on the bin lid, you take a deep breath before opening it.

You look inside and see two Boxtrolls look up at you. As soon as they see you they screech and then hide inside their boxes, like they're a crab in their shell.

"It's ok," you whisper, "I'm not going to hurt you. Promise."

They don't move. You try talking to them again but they sit still. You sigh.

"So you are just scared, aren't you?"

You try to think of something to do but then you can hear a car driving in the distance.

"No," you breathe.

You peek over the corner to see that the car is the one those two awful men drive to capture Boxtrolls. You panic and then look back at the Boxtrolls in the garbage can.

"Hey!" You shout whisper, "You have to get out of here! You're in danger!"

They don't listen to you. Maybe they can't understand you. You start making some weird grumbling noises hoping you're speaking their language but it doesn't seem to be working.

Quickly you blow out your candle in your lantern and then put the lid back onto the garbage can. You then pick up the can with difficulty and shuffle it over so that it's in the dark more.

Once that's done you hide behind the bin and wait for the car to pass. It drives by slowly; the car lights eliminating the street and a bit of the paths.

That's when you notice it; your lantern discarded on the side of the road. You wince as the car drives by it. For a brief moment you think they won't notice or the car won't touch it as they drive past, but then the car wheel hits the lantern.