RJ Caswen: I'll Cover You

Summary: Ricky is 9 months pregnant and is in labor as he relived through the past memories: his abusive mother, Lynne, escaping from his past, starting a relationship with EJ, and his pregnancy during his senior year of high school.

Title based on the song from the musical, RENT.
----------------------
Ricky was in a hospital bed, squeezing EJ's hand so hard and breathing so deeply while he felt a lot of pain inside his big, rounded stomach. Yes, he was pregnant and was in labor just when he and EJ were a week away from graduating their senior year at East High.

But way back before that, Ricky and EJ had been best friends since their freshman year of high school who would often hang out and tell each other's secrets. Although, there was one secret Ricky shared with EJ, which was a very serious situation he had been in: Ricky never had a good relationship with his mother, Lynne, because of the way how she mistreated him. And that was when while he was breathing through the contractions, he was flashing back the time he escaped from his abusive mom.
------------------------
*two years earlier*

Ricky often enjoyed hanging out with EJ sometimes, but Lynne had never approved of their friendship and tried to reason with her son whenever she would forbid him from hanging out with him or any of his other friends. Ricky's father, Mike, passed away when he was a child. His mother refused to talk about it whenever he had questions on what his dad was like, and she mistreated her son in the most terrible way possible. All she ever did was yell at him and he would sass her as the two get caught into an argument whenever it happened. And sometimes, she would slap him across the face, kick him, and say nasty things to him, which usually caused for Ricky to say that if his dad was alive, he would be able to help and stick up to his mom.

Ricky was coming home from hanging out with EJ at his house after school. He got out of his car and tried to sneak into the house, but then...

"Richard Michael Bowen, where the hell have you been?!"

Ricky got spooked when he heard his mom's loud voice yelling behind him before he turned around to face her.

"I was hanging out with EJ," Ricky said.

"Again?! How many times have I told you that I don't want you hanging out with him anymore?!" Lynne yelled.

"You can't keep telling me to not go out and socialize with my friends! I'm not a kid anymore! Everything you do to me in that kind of way is not okay!" he yelled.

"Don't you use that tone at me! I am your mother, and you have no right to talk to me like that! Do you understand that?!"

"If you were my mother, you would act like one, but not in that behavior! I am so sick of this personality you've been having, because you're always against me on everything, Mom!"

Lynne immediately slapped her son across the face.

"HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO ME LIKE THAT?!"

Then she started hitting him and kicking him over and over again. It wasn't a pretty sight as it went on until Ricky had a black eye and everything else on him was all bruised up.

"THAT DOES IT! YOU ARE TO NOT SET YOUR FOOT OUT OF THIS HOUSEHOLD EVER AGAIN! AND I NEVER WANT YOU HANGING OUT WITH E.J. OR ANY OF YOUR FRIENDS ANYMORE! YOU HAVE DISOBEYED ME FOR THE LAST TIME! GET UP TO YOUR ROOM RIGHT NOW, AND DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT COMING OUT!" Lynne screamed.

In anger, Ricky stomped his way up the stairs. Once he got there, he slammed the door and locked it up. He dropped into his bed with his face landed onto a pillow as he started sobbing on it. He sometimes wished he had a better mom who would treat him normally.

Then Ricky heard his phone ringing as his head picked up from the pillow and he looked into it. He found that EJ was calling him, and he picked it up to answer.