39

Amajiki leans his head against the window. The train was relatively busy, Friday night brought out a lot of college students traveling to bars.

He swallows hard. The noise cancelling headphones Mr. Yamada had gotten him for Christmas were dead, though he still wore them to muffle out the sounds of people.

He closes his eyes. The conversation with his mom the day before couldn't have gone worse.

"Hi, Baby!" His mom greeted him at the door, pulling him into a hug, "I didn't know you were coming today!"

He hesitantly embraced her, silent as she led the way to her apartment. He stopped in the doorway when he saw the man sitting on her couch.

He seemed nice enough, Amajiki thought as he introduced himself. Still, he told the woman, "If-If it's al-alright I need to t-talk to you in p-private."

She had rolled her eyes, "Still with the stuttering, Tamaki? And Wataru can stay, he's harmless."

Amajiki sighed in relief as the man excused himself anyway, announcing he's going to get cigarettes from the corner store.

However, his relief was short lived as he realized he's alone with her, "I was thinking we could get hotpot for your birthday dinner! Or we could go to that sushi place in our old neighborhood? It's up to you, sweetie."

The boy gripped his backpack strap tightly, nervously taking a few steps into the living room. He mumbled a response, but she doesn't hear and asks him to repeat himself.

"I'm- I'm going to-" tears filled his eyes. He knew what he wanted to say, but it was so frustrating when his mouth couldn't form the words, "Mom, I'm not g-going to come tomorrow."

The woman blinked. Then she laughed, which startled her son, "Don't be silly! It's your birthday, of course you're coming over!"

"N-no. No, I'm not."

She narrowed her eyes, but Amajiki was too focused on the ground to see. He took a deep breath, "I'm going home and-and I'm having a birthday dinner with my f-family."

Amajikis heart jumped when she took a step forward, finally looking at her as she gives him a smile, "What are you talking about, Tamaki? I'm your mother. I'm your family."

He took a step back. He needed to say it. To say it before she convinced him otherwise, "I'm... Mr. Yamada and Mr. Aizawa want to adopt me wh-when I turn eighteen."

His mothers eyes darken as her smile fell from her lips, "What are you talking about? When you're eighteen you're going live with me since the government can't take you away."

"No," he whispered, the tears leaving his eyes in favor of his cheeks, "I'm going to stay with the Aizawa-Yamadas."

Finally she took a step back. If she saw the fear in his eyes she didn't show it. He cringed as she raised her voice, "After everything I've done for you?!"

He stayed silent, wincing with every footstep she made pacing in front of him, "I've given everything for you! EVERYTHING! You're an ungrateful little shit, Tamaki! Don't you see what I've sacrificed!"

His lip trembled as he hangs his head, "I'm sorry."

"Then don't leave me!" He cringed when she began to sob, "What did they say to make you not love me?!"

It took everything in him not to go and comfort her as she sat on the dirty sofa. Just like he would do when he was little. It was always up to him to make her feel better.