41

Izuku hadn't even realized he'd nodded off to sleep until he's woken up by the door falling shut.

It'd been a few days since the police had come to his dads apartment, and he'd barely gotten any sleep since. He grimaces at the puddle of drool on his notebook, groggily pushing his head up as he rubs his eyes, turning to search for the source of the sound.

His boyfriend looks guilty as he sets a plate on the desk in front of him, "I didn't mean to wake you," he whispers, planting a gentle kiss on top of the green curls.

Izuku smiles, "No it's fine. I'm sorry," he tries to shake the sleepiness from his head, "This is one of your days off for your work study- I shouldn't have fallen asleep."

Todoroki looks at him with worry. Despite his four hour nap, the bags under his eyes were just as heavy. He's quick to reassure him, settling down on the foot of his bed where his own books lay discarded. He watches as the boy pushes the food around the plate with his fork. He bites the inside of his lip.

Something was wrong.

He'd never been one for confrontation, but his boyfriend looked like shit (something he didn't know was actually possible). The not knowing made him want to vomit, so he asks, "Is everything alright?"

Izuku suddenly stuffs his face with the salad, despite his stomachache. Todoroki's fists tighten around the blanket underneath him, continuing, "Did you get into a fight with your dads?"

He shakes his head, shoveling the food into his mouth. He didn't want to deal with this, "Is it your birth parents? Bakugos been more of an ass lately at the agency, did you get into an argument?"

"Stop." Some of the dinner spills from his lips.

"I'm worried," Todoroki swallows the knot in his throat, "You've seemed off in class this week and you kind of gave up on work study-"

"Leave it alone, Shoto." The fork clangs loudly against the plate.

Izuku turns to him with a dark glare, but Todoroki persists, "Sometimes talking to people makes things more manageable, you know? I may not be able to understand it but I can listen!"

He slaps his hand away as Todoroki reaches out for him, scowling as he fails to keep his anger from his voice, "Just shut the hell up! Jesus Christ if I wanted to talk I would fucking talk! What don't you people get about that?!"

Todoroki steps back as Izuku stands with a hard glare directed at him. He frowns, "I'm only trying to help."

"I don't need your fucking help! I don't need anyone's fucking help with fucking anything! So just leave me alone!"

He doesn't realize just how loud he was yelling until the eerie silence followed. Todoroki sits on the bed, his heart thundering in his chest as he shuts down.

Izuku just watches with horror the shitstorm he'd just caused, guilt rising painfully from his chest into his stomach. He takes a cautious step forward, "Fuck," he breathes, more to himself than anyone.

He tries to swallow the knot in his throat. He knew the look on his boyfriends face. He could see the same look on himself all those years ago.

He had fucked up, and he could cry from the sheer panic of not knowing how to fix it.

Izuku gently places his hand on the soft mattress, searching for any sign of flinching or wincing that wouldn't welcome him. He crawls onto the bed, crossing his legs, he looks from Todoroki's back to his lap.

"I'm sorry," Izuku whispers. He closes his eyes as he pulls his boyfriends back tight against his chest, "I'm sorry. I haven't been sleeping the best and it's made me touchy, I didn't mean to yell at you."