Chapter 18

"Where are we going?" I asked as I slid into the backseat of the familiar car.

Jamie stepped into the vehicle after me, examining my facial features before answering in the calmest of manners. "We have much to do, actually." She stared down at her phone screen, intently with her eyebrows scrunched.

"So...Are you going to let me in on the secret?" My voice was laced with desperate sarcasm. I don't like surprises. I never have. I always want to know what's going on. At least that way I can be prepared for whatever it is.

Jamie side-eyed me curiously before tucking her phone away into her suit pocket. She turned to face me with her undivided attention. Her eyes drew me in, and held my attention with every word she uttered.

"Well, darling" she started, but then inhaled a sharp breath. "We are going shopping."

I laughed. "Do you always take shopping this seriously, Jamie?" I noticed that her face was unchanged. Her serious expression stayed put as she continued to study me. Her eyes bore into mine.

"We are meant to find you a gown, princess. An elegant gown that is suitable for a formal ball."

I blushed at the nickname. Her eyes continued to stare into mine with intensity. This conversation started to feel heavier, despite the odd topic. I was almost nervous to say anything else.

"Why do I feel like there's more that I'm not being told? You're being oddly secretive about a...ball? As in like the Cinderella kind? You're scaring me, Jamie."

Jamie's eyes softened and she reached out for my hand. "Everything will be just fine, Mia. These galas are held fairly often. Whenever there is an issue between different...organizations, a gala is held to discreetly manage the issue on equal terms. There will be very important there. As a sign of respect, you must be present. I will be there to protect you, so don't worry too much."

I scoured her face for any kind of underlying emotion. I don't like the idea of being stuck in a room with a bunch of mafia bosses with weapons. That actually sounds pretty fucking terrifying. I want to make sure that I can trust what she's telling me. I'm sure she'd like to believe that everything will be fine, but there seems to be a hint of worry evident in Jamie's weakened smile and sharp eyes.

"Do I get to choose the dress?"

Jamie sighed with evident conviction. "Yes, but it must be approved", she stated flatly.

"Approved by who?" My eyebrows scrunched as I awaited her answer.

"Me."

I rolled my eyes. It looks like I'll be wearing a fucking trench-coat to this event then. I can already tell I'm going to have a hard time getting a gown "approved" by this woman. Maybe that's why she looks so stressed. She wasn't too happy earlier with my first outfit. This'll be fucking interesting. Jamie gave me a smirk before releasing my hand and bringing hers back to resting on her thigh. I got kind of sad at the loss of contact. I crossed my arms and looked out of the window as I watched the other cars pass by. I noticed Jamie snickering at me from the corner of my eye. God, why am I so obvious?

*******

We arrive at a shopping mall about a half an hour away from the house. It seems to be a higher end kind of shopping mall by the looks of it. The building itself looks so modern and new. The building shows no sign of being weathered at all. The parking lot was neat and pristine with an abundance of cars. The lack of trash in the parking lot is kind of shocking. I am used to the dirty torn shopping bags blowing around and chip and snack wrappers littered every which way. I guess that's another reason why Europeans hate us Americans. We look likes slobs compared to this level of upkeep.