Chapter 32

Jamie's POV:

My ears perked to the sound of a knock at the door. I sighed and slipped from underneath the sleeping beauty lying against me. I gently lowered her head to the cushion and planted a kiss to her hair. I walked towards the door and gripped the handle, anticipating who will be standing before me. As soon as I came face to face with the person on the other end, my jaw clenched involuntarily.

"What do you want?" I spat out.

Dana stood before me with the smuggest of smirks upon her unfortunate face.

"Why? Am I getting under your skin?"

"Go back to Texas with your girlfriend, Dana."

"Why? I'm in love with yours."

Before another thought could roam through my mind, my fist directed itself towards her face. The force of my punch made her head fly back. I took a step forward and grabbed the collar of her salmon pink dress shirt.

"Do not disrespect her or me like that ever again. Whilst we may be family, I am older and stronger than you. Walk away, little girl. Take your attitude with you. It's repellent." I waved my hand in front of my nose as a demonstration of just how putrid she is. She took a step towards me this time and tried to hit me, but I blocked her movement. She tried to throw a punch with the other hand, to no avail. I punched her again, this time in the stomach. She sounded as if her breath was brutally knocked from inside of her. The corners of my mouth began to rise into a smile until I heard Mia's sleep-ridden voice.

"Jamie?"

Dana and I stopped dead in our tracks to face the girl.

"Dana?"

Dana took a step forward, towards Mia and began to speak. "Mj, I came to talk to you."

I rolled my eyes and also took a step forward, gripping Dana by the shoulders from behind. "Actually, she was just leaving."

"No, I wasn't. I-"

I cut her sentence short. "I'm over this bullshit. Right, well we're leaving, darling. Up up." I said as I bent over to throw the girl over my shoulder.

"Put her down, she doesn't belong to you, Jamie."

"Are we taking bets on that?" I countered as I continued to walk away.

"What the hell is going on", Mia shrieked.

"You can't leave yet. I'm here for a reason", Dana divulged.

My eyes scoured over her. "Fine. Continue", I said as a lowered Mia to her feet. But before she could continue speaking, Mr. James walked through the door. He smiled widely, motioning his hands around in circles as he spoke.

"I see you've been acquainted with your cousin in her new position."

My eyebrows furrowed. "Pardon me, sir?"

"Dad, what is going on?" Mia questioned, noticing my face I presume.

"Well sweetheart, Dana is your new guard. Jamie and Dana will keep watch over you."

My eyes squinted as I looked at Dana's physique questionably. "Are you sure?" I asked.

Mr. James nodded. "She is more of a technological guard. She's very tech savvy and is meant to keep people like this Bella person from spewing my little girl's information all over the internet. Though, this is a trial."

"A trial?" Mia asked.

"Yes, she will be living in close quarters monitoring you as Jamie would. Plus, it might be nice to have another person your own age to talk to, yeah?"

"Oh boy, what a treat." I muttered under my breath. Mia noticed and grabbed my hand, squeezing gently. The anger was beginning to bubble up inside of me at the thought of Dana making a move on Mia. She is mine. I am supposed to protect her, not Dana. She is curvy, not muscular. This isn't Kim-possible. She can't defend Mia the same way I am able to. Her motives are also off-kilter, mostly due to the fact that she is overwhelmingly taken by Mia's charm.

There was a silence that fell upon the room. Mr. James spoke up. "I'll leave you all to discuss this arrangement yourselves. Enjoy the rest of the party, ladies." He nodded at us and then turned to walk out of the door.

"That's what I was trying to tell you", Dana said through her perfectly straight teeth.

I let my hair down from my tightly pulled bun and ran my hands through it, massaging my scalp to soothe the headache. Mia made her way in front of me as Dana watched. Her voice spoke calmly and gently. "It's gonna be okay." She brought her hands up to the sides of my face and I pulled her in by her waist. She leaned forward and kissed me. I smiled against her lips. "Keep doing that and we'll have to repeat earlier", I whispered. Her face went red at the memory of a couple of hours ago. I smirked and looked over at Dana.

Dana's POV:
I need to get Mj alone. There's no way I'm going to be able to talk to her with Jamie around. I just need to be able to spend time with her. Then she'll realize that we're supposed to be together. This is all Bella's fault. We could all have been together, but she had to ruin it. Once we spend some time together, the realization that I'm the one that she wants will hit her. I've done so much to get to this point. I watched as Mj kissed Jamie and my stomach began to turn. She may be infatuated with Jamie right now, but I just have to play the long game. She loves me. I know that she loves me. I have to separate them.

"I'll see you guys at home", I said with a smile. Jamie was quick to scowl at me. Mj was playing with her tasseled hair. I turned my back to the both of them and walked away. It's time to put my next plan into effect. As soon as I left the room, I sped into a run to catch up to Mr. James. Good thing he didn't go too far.

"Mr. James!" I shouted behind him.

"Yes?", he asked with a puzzled expression.

"The Marzetti family is setting up shop in Seattle."

"Yes, indeed. What about it?"

"Would you not also like to set up a facility somewhere nearby. The Marzetti family is by far one of our biggest rivals. Is it safe to let them roam free without any supervision nearby? I've heard talks about the Marzetti family wanting to go bigger. They can't go bigger without overthrowing us."

"Who did you hear this from?"

"I have sources underground. Rats, if you will. People on the inside that I pay for scoops. You should go investigate to be safe."

"I suppose you're right. I can't have anything happening to this family. I'm going to need to take someone with me to be my second in command."

"You should take Jamie. She knows this organization better than anyone here."

"No, I can't. Mia needs to stay under her protection."

"Hire 10 other guards instead and take Jamie. That way Mia is safe and so is the organization."

He pondered this thought for a moment before speaking again. "Alright. We leave first thing in the morning. I'll let Jamie know."

"Will do, Sir."

I turned away from him and smiled as I strolled away. It pays to have friends in high places.

A/N:
This chapter was a little different. I hope that y'all enjoyed it the same. The next chapter will be back to Mia's POV. Bye loves 💕