Chapter 22

"What is going on?" I looked back and forth between my dad and Jamie.

Jamie looked at my dad to answer the question. He took a deep breath before speaking. "Mia, you are an extraordinary young woman", he started. "So I know that you will be able to handle what I have to say next." He turned to look at the guard stationed across the room and gestured the bulky man over with his index finger. The man made his way over to the table and pulled a sheathed dagger out of his suit pocket, laying it down on the table and sliding it over to me. I was so concerned. Why in the hell was I being slid a knife before a difficult conversation. Who the fuck was going to try to kill me this time?

I looked to the right to meet my dad's gaze. "Why do I need this?" I asked calmly.

"Protection" he put it simply. He shrugged and leaned back in his chair. "It's better to be safe than sorry. You're my successor, my love. This empire is yours. People will try to cut you down to get to it. We're not going to let that happen."

He gestured once again to the man who was still standing beside the table in the position of attention, his hand flat against his back. The man moved his hand into his suit jacket and pulled out a hand gun before sliding it over to me. The hand gun was engraved with my name. "MJ". I grabbed the gun and ran my fingers along the engraving. I looked over to my dad and smiled.

"No one has called me that in so long", I said with a nostalgic smile. "I think it was maybe the start of high school when people finally stopped calling me MJ. Though, that's mostly because I didn't talk to anyone" I laughed to myself dryly as I examined the gun.

He smiled back warmly. "You are to have both of these holstered to you at all times, unless of course you are sleeping or bathing. In those cases, keep them close in proximity. Do you understand?" He raised an eyebrow at me to make sure I was listening.

"Yes, I understand" I obliged.

"Good. Jamie, I trust you'll take care of the next step whilst I converse with Jason" he said, now looking at Jamie.

She nodded her head. "Of course, sir." 

I looked around the room and I noticed Jason standing at the bar, mixing himself a drink. How the hell did he slip in without me noticing? I must've been so distracted by the conversation that I tuned everything else out. Jamie stood from her seat and looked at me, so I stood as well. "Follow me" she commanded. She grabbed the knife and gun from the table and led me over to the unmarked door next to the bathroom and inserted a key before twisting the knob and opening the door. It was basically a dressing room. Or at least that's what it seemed like. There was a giant mirror that was the length of the entire far wall. She held the door open for me to walk in, and then proceeded to close it behind her. There was a bench that was settled against one of the walls. "Take a seat", Jamie directed, pointing to the bench. I obliged and made my way over to the bench and proceeded to watch Jamie's movements. She followed me over to the bench and kneeled in front of me. Her icy blue eyes bore into mine as she spread my legs open a little wider. My eyes widened and I waited for whatever she was going to do next. I was really okay with any of the outcomes that were playing out in my mind. She reached into her suit jacket and pulled out two black garments. They were thigh garters. She maintained eye contact as she pulled up my loose green dress and grabbed one of my legs. She popped off my green sneaker and slid the garter up to my thigh. She proceeded to do the same thing to my other leg. Once she finished putting the thigh garters on she attached the sheathed knife to my left thigh garter, and then the gun to my right thigh garter.

"How's that feel? Is it too tight?", she inquired lowly.

I scooted closer to the edge of the bench to close some of the distance between us and I grabbed her hand. "I'd like to ask you the same question", I said as I guided her hand back to my thigh, gently moving it higher.

"You naughty girl" she laughed as she retracted her hand, causing me to pout.

She had risen back to her feet and held her hand out to help me up. I put my sneakers back on and she led us back outside of the dressing room and into the room with my dad. Him and Jason were sat at the table with drinks in their hands, just talking. Me and Jamie took out seats and one of the four waiters waltzed over to take all of our orders.

Me, Jamie, Jason, and my dad all put in our orders. I ordered fettuccine. I love fettuccine. I love all pasta, yum. I was distracted with my own thoughts when I heard my dad clear his throat.

"Mia, are you listening?", he asked.

"Oh..no.. sorry.. I just-..I'm sorry" I stuttered.

My dad reached over and placed his hands on mine, smiling reassuringly. The gesture was nice, but I flinched at the touch. Men in my life have always been unpredictable. I never knew when I was going to get hurt. I knew that my dad would never hurt me, but my body has just always been used to acting this way instinctively. It was only because the gesture was so sudden. But I felt bad immediately when I noticed the hurt in my dad's eyes. The hurt was mixed with understanding. He knew there was more to the story and that it wasn't him that I was afraid of.

***Flashback***

"Come here baby"

"No, I don't want to" I muttered nervously.

The man was walking closer to me, unbuckling his belt. His dark, greasy hair was hugging his unshaven face. His eyes were dark and full of lust. I turned my eyes to my mom who was sunken into her seat on the couch with the tv remote in her hand.

"She's not gonna help you baby. Why don't you just be good for me and this can end quickly for the both of us" he winked with a smirk before licking the moisture back into his chapped lips.

Tears began to stream down my rosy cheeks. I was still wearing my flowy pink dress from my birthday party earlier that day, with a sash hanging over it. The sash read "happy 10th b-day MJ !" My tears left wet stains all over the surface of my dress and my sash.

"Awe, you don't need to cry. I'm gonna make you feel all better again", he said walking closer with a taunting pout.

I began hyperventilating. "No leave me alone" I rushed out, trying to sound firm and confident through shaky breaths.

The older man picked up his pace and grabbed my neck, pinning me to the wall. My eyes bulged in fear. I thought he was going to kill me.

"What the FUCK did you just say to me you little bitch!" He heaved, forcing me to smell the alcohol on his breath.

"MOM! Please mom, HELP ME! Please.." I tried to shout, clawing at the mans hand as it became harder to breathe and talk.

I turned to see my mom, unfazed, watching her show on the tv. My heart sank into my stomach. Right as my eyes moved back to the man's, I was met with his hard fist. The whole world went black.

***End of Flashback***

"NO!" I screamed, standing from my seat and stumbling back almost tripping over my chair.

I began hyperventilating and doubled over in pain. There were sharp pains targeting my gut as the loss of breath was taking a greater toll on me. Jamie and my dad jumped up and rushed over to me. I fell to the floor before either of them could reach me. As I laid across the cold marbled flooring, the whole scene played back in my mind again, and again, and again. I cried and heaved before I just stopped. I laid there, emotionless, with blank eyes and loose limbs. It felt like I was no longer in my body. I felt Jamie scoop me up into her arms and stand, carrying me somewhere. She held me close to her body, almost as if she were attempting to revive me with her own quickened heart rate. Jamie's scent enveloped me and I closed my eyes and let the darkness temporarily consume me completely, knowing that I was safe enough in her arms to do so.