Chapter 1: First Day

"I know it might be just a tad-bit different than what you're probably used to back home, However, here at Nevermore Academy we're still a high academic school that provides all sorts of courses and opportunities!"

The soft clicking of heels strides in a loud rhythm down the empty hallway. Met with no response, the pickup of each step carried at a faster pace as the growing sound was traveling past the various closed doors of the classrooms.

"I'm sure you heard many stories about our school? Our long history with Outcasts which goes back to the Founding in 1791, Nevermore Academy we have welcomed Outcasts of all kinds for example werewolves, vampires, sirens, gorgons and other intelligent species.." The women speaking began rambling more than what one would care for. Despite being short with blonde hair, blue ocean eyes and a cute button nose with the complement of a nice slim body with a little junk in the trunk. Was a chatterbox. And nothing was wrong with that except..

"Listen..Ms?"

"Oh, it's Ms. Daniels." The woman quickly stopped and turned around with a bright smile. "And we're here Ms. Cortez-"

"Avery." The younger female corrected. "Just Avery would be fine." Maybe it was just her sour teenager mood that made her bitter. Especially in the early mornings.

Unfazed, the woman motioned to her right side towards the door, "I know you must be nervous and I don't blame you so I wish you the best of luck. Now before I forget after all your classes just head back down to the main office at the end of the day and we'll get you taken care of with a room, uniform and finalized schedule. This is your first class for the day, World History AP. I wrote your remaining temporary schedule on your welcome packet just in case you need a little help as the day goes."

Avery yawned. "Cool. Is that all."

Ms. Daniels nodded slowly at her, blinking somewhat while holding her sight. "Yes..Well have fun. And it was a pleasure to meet you, Avery."

"Uh huh." Curtly replies a bit too shallowly. She couldn't help it, moving past the woman without knocking proceeded to open the door and hurriedly walked in. Loudly, the door slammed shut as the latching nose of the lock echoed. The once bustling room became quiet, not so much of a shuffling around sounded as all eyes averted and now focused on the lone suspect who stood in the front.

Awkwardly averting her gaze downward to her shoes. The vast pool of curious eyes peered too deeply into her, observing her appearance and movements. Painfully aware of her boyish attire, an oversized navy coat, and black men's pants, didn't suit the norm here as others wore all matching colored uniforms, some small changes here and there for slight variety. The pressure grew as the seconds went by as the silence became almost appalling.

"Uhm Hello!" The voice of an elderly man directed her. "You must be the new student, come over and join us!" He ushered from the side of her. Wearing a gray jacket with baggy pants, gray set of hair with a tinge of blue paled eyes. "My name is John Rogers but Mr. Rogers would be fine. You must be Avery?" He looked down at his laptop to find the email that pertained to her.

He was eyed her with hopefulness. Unconsciously it made her squirm a bit but nevertheless she answered, "Yeah."

"Okay, awesome-yeah," He responded, clasping his hands together. "So class! As you heard this is Avery, a new transfer. Please treat her well and with the same respect as you have for each other..I hope." Mumbling his last words.

"Now do I have a volunteer to help Avery find a seat? Someone who will step up and show leadership and help our new fellow peers out?" He joyfully spoke. Scanning the room for the slightest fidget. "Now, everyone one at a time lets not all raise our hands."