Chapter 17: Parent's Weekend

In the hushed atmosphere of the ICU, Wednesday sits vigilantly by Eugene's side, her presence a comforting anchor. Avery remains by Wednesday's side, her face etched with guilt and worry. Enid stands nearby, her usually vibrant demeanor dimmed by a sense of remorse.

Avery's voice quivers as she breaks the silence, "Wednesday, I can't help but feel responsible for what happened to Eugene

Avery's voice quivers as she breaks the silence, "Wednesday, I can't help but feel responsible for what happened to Eugene. I should have been there, protecting both of you."

Wednesday turns her gaze towards Avery, her eyes filled with warmth and understanding. "Avery, my love, you must release yourself from this burden of guilt. We cannot control the actions of monsters or predict every danger that lurks in the shadows. It's not your fault"

Enid finally speaks up, her voice tinged with remorse, "I feel the same way, Wednesday. This wouldn't happen if I didn't bring up the dance with Avery."

Wednesday's eyes soften as she looks at Enid, her voice firm, "Enid, you fool. All that matters is that you both had a good time. Knowing that you did, puts my mind at ease a little. Something pleasant came out of the night."

As Wednesday finishes her speech, her gentle demeanor swiftly returns to cold as she looks between Enid and Avery, making it clear that a serious conversation awaits them.

"However.."

Confusion clouds their faces until a familiar hand appendage crawls across the floor—Thing has arrived, serving as a silent witness to their actions.

Thing's gestures convey the truth to Enid and Avery, and their faces pale as they understand the consequences of their actions. Thing has betrayed them.

Enid starts to panic, desperately attempting to come up with an explanation. "It's not what you think! It's a
misunderstanding!"

Wednesday cuts her off with a firm command. "Silence," she declares, her voice filled with authority. A devious smile forms on her face, reflecting a complex mix of emotions.

Avery attempts to speak, but Wednesday's glare stops her in her tracks. The room falls into a tense silence as Wednesday gestures towards Thing, who slouches apologetically.