Chapter 19: Dwelling In The Past

After weeks on the road, Scarlet and Sam finally arrived in Miami, Florida. They walked through the crowded scenes, where people were drinking and partying all around them.

 They walked through the crowded scenes, where people were drinking and partying all around them

"It's this way," Scarlet called back to Sam. Sam nodded, keeping her head low and trying to ignore the wandering eyes of the intoxicated crowd.

Amidst the loud thumping music, Sam shouted, "Are you sure you can trust this guy?" Scarlet simply nodded, leading them to a back room that opened up into a completely different setting.

The once intense bar transformed into a smoky oasis filled with trees, greenery, and plants.

"Just don't speak out, he doesn't like to repeat himself, and especially dislikes sarcasm... so keep your jokes to yourself," Scarlet reminded Sam. Sam shrugged and continued to follow behind.

They stumbled upon an indoor pond, its surface adorned with koi fish of various sizes and colors

They stumbled upon an indoor pond, its surface adorned with koi fish of various sizes and colors. Mesmerized by the beautiful sight, Sam failed to hear the faint sound behind her.

"Oh, I see you admire my fishes," a voice from behind startled Sam, almost causing her to fall into the water.

"Jesus!" she exclaimed, turning around to see a large, slim man. While he appeared handsome, his unsettling eyes gave Sam an uneasy feeling.

The man's snake-like tongue licked his lips as he shifted his gaze to Scarlet. "Ah, Scarlet, a pleasant surprise. I didn't know you would bring a human with you," he said in a questioning tone.

Sam remained silent, gradually moving closer to Scarlet's side, seeking protection from the snake-like man.

"Issac, it's good to see you too, old friend," Scarlet replied casually.

He hissed, "Friend? You dare call me that?! After what you did!" His sharp claws emerged, gleaming with danger.

"My apologies. I admit that I have wronged you, but I want to make it right," Scarlet calmly responded.

A sickening smile twisted Issac's face. "If you're offering this human as food, I won't take her... I'm on a diet," he bitterly remarked, shaking his head.