Chapter 20: Well That Was Unexpected

As Wednesday led the way, Enid and Avery followed closely behind, with Enid carrying a flashlight and Avery providing additional light. Suddenly, Enid's sharp hearing caught a noise, causing her claws to instinctively deploy.

"You insisted on coming along," Wednesday remarked, standing at the entrance of the crypt and looking up at the engraved stone. The slightly parted doors hinted at someone already being inside. "Seems like our wannabe Deep Throat is already here."

"Ew," Enid muttered, wrinkling her nose in disgust. "What died?"

"Smells like childhood," Wednesday commented casually. "Come on."

"Second thoughts. Why don't I just stay out here with Avery?" Enid nervously suggested. However, Avery confidently walked past her, a smile on her face, embracing the adventure.

"We're safer together than apart," Avery reassured Enid, motioning for her to follow. But Enid remained rooted in place, emphasizing, "Holler if you hear something."

"Sure thing, scaredy cat," Avery playfully called back.

As Avery entered the crypt, the doors abruptly slammed shut. Enid turned around, her back facing the closed doors, while Wednesday carefully searched for clues and patiently awaited the mysterious person's appearance.

Avery pulled out her lighter and channeled her aura into it, igniting a flame that provided a stronger light than Wednesday's flashlight—an ability she was glad to possess

Suddenly, a clattering sound echoed in the distance, causing Wednesday to call out, "Enid?" A brief cough and hushing followed. Reacting swiftly, Wednesday pushed Avery behind her and warned, "Whoever you are, show yourself. Try anything, and you'll lose limbs."

And then, to everyone's surprise, Bianca, Xavier, Ajax, Yoko, Divina, and Kent leaped out from behind the crypt, exclaiming with joy, "Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you!"

Enid entered the crypt, holding a cake, and joined in singing, "Happy birthday, dear Wednesday!"

The cake was black, with a black figure on top holding a pink balloon. Sparklers served as candles, and the cake read 'Happy 17th Birthday Wednesday'. Thing, the hand, sat on a ledge wearing a black party hat on its severed wrist.

"Happy birthday to you!" the group concluded their song. Wednesday turned and pointed her flashlight at Thing.

"I should have known you were behind this," she groaned. Then she turned to Avery, who still held her ignited lighter emitting violet sparks, and asked, "And you. Were you a part of this?"

 Were you a part of this?"