Chapter 15: So What's Next?

After fourteen long hours on the road, Scarlet's fatigue finally got the better of her. She pulled the truck over on the side of the road, her eyes heavy with exhaustion. They had traveled a great distance, all the way from Washington, running away from Lilith's last known location. Now, finding themselves in North Dakota, Scarlet knew it was time to rest.

She glanced over at Sam, who was sound asleep, softly snoring in the passenger seat. A small, tired smile graced Scarlet's lips as she admired the peaceful expression on the young girl's face. Hopeful not to disturb her, Scarlet gently engaged the truck's brakes and turned off the engine.

Opening the door, she stepped out of the truck and made her way to the front of the hotel. Weariness weighed heavily on her, but she pushed through, determined to secure a room for their much-needed rest. After a short while, she returned to the passenger side of the semi truck.

Carefully opening the door, Scarlet stepped up and reached out, her arms embracing Sam's slumbering form. She held her tightly against her chest, mindful of not jostling her awake. With a graceful motion, Scarlet descended from the truck, ensuring the door closed quietly behind her.

 With a graceful motion, Scarlet descended from the truck, ensuring the door closed quietly behind her

Navigating the pathway to their hotel room, Scarlet unlocked the door and entered with utmost care. She walked over to the single bed, a place where they could finally find respite from their arduous journey. Slowly and gently, she laid Sam down on top of the soft sheets, ensuring her comfort was paramount.

Scarlet sat down beside Sam, her exhaustion evident but overridden by her tender concern. She tucked a loose strand of hair behind Sam's ear, her touch gentle and full of affection. A wave of protectiveness washed over her as she watched the young girl sleep peacefully, free from the nightmares that haunted their past.

Quietly, Scarlet stood up from the bed, careful not to disturb Sam's rest. She moved around the room, adjusting the curtains to ensure darkness and serenity. She dimmed the lights, creating a soothing ambiance that would promote a deep and undisturbed sleep.

Returning to Sam's side, Scarlet pulled the covers up to her chin, tucking her in snugly. She couldn't help but linger for a moment, her eyes tracing the delicate features of Sam's face. It was in moments like these, amidst the chaos of their circumstances, that Scarlet found purpose in the line of work she does.

Satisfied that Sam was comfortable and safe, Scarlet moved to the other side of the room. She slipped off her shoes and settled into a chair, her weariness finally catching up to her.

As she closed her eyes, she whispered a silent prayer of gratitude for a semi successful mission.

In the dimly lit room, Scarlet and Sam slept, their dreams intertwined with hope and determination. The weight of their journey could wait for tomorrow, for now, they would find comfort in the stillness of the night.

.
Next Morning
.

Sam slowly stirred from her sleep, her senses awakening to the tantalizing aroma of sausage, bacon, and eggs wafting through the air. Her stomach growled in hunger, and as she opened her eyes, she found herself in a comfortable hotel room.