Chapter 46: Mental Tragedies Part-5

The rushing waves surrounded her, the sound of crashing water and the salty breeze creating a strangely calming sensation

It reminded her of home—a home she had nearly forgotten. Her body ached with blistering pain, and she shut her eyes weakly. Struggling to open them, she managed to glimpse the glaring sun, its rays harsh against her face.

Then, the sun was obscured. A translucent cloth draped over a figure who stared down at her—a woman whose pale face was the only part visible beneath a hood and a white cloak that covered her entire body.

 A translucent cloth draped over a figure who stared down at her—a woman whose pale face was the only part visible beneath a hood and a white cloak that covered her entire body

Those piercing warm grey eyes were fixed on Petra, accompanied by a lush smile.

"Well, good morning, dear," the woman said, her voice as silky and sweet as honey. Petra was awestruck by her beauty, her eyes lingering as she took in the woman's striking yet soft features.

Petra weakly gasped, struggling to speak with her raw, aching throat.

The woman knelt beside her in the sand, producing a water canteen seemingly from nowhere. "You look parched. This will help," she said, opening the cap and letting the water trickle onto Petra's cracked lips. The cool, fresh water met her parched mouth, and she rolled her eyes back in relief, slowly opening her mouth to take a sip before swallowing.

The woman leaned in closer, smiling fondly as she watched Petra weakly reach for the canteen, tilting it more towards her mouth.

But then, Petra began to cough violently as she tried to drink too much too quickly.

The shrouded woman laughed softly. "Don't be so greedy now," she smirked.

---

After settling down, Petra's curiosity and confusion drove her to ask, "Where am I? Who are you?"

The woman smiled gently but offered little in the way of comfort. "You're safe for now," she said, her voice soothing yet unsettling. "But you're also in great danger of dying. You're in a sort of limbo, a place between life and death."

Petra's mind spun with questions, her brow furrowing in confusion. "Limbo? I don't understand," she whispered, her voice barely audible over the sound of the crashing waves.