Chapter 26: Different? I've Never Felt Better: Part 3

Yoko's voice trembled as she spoke, her concern mingled with a hint of fear. "Are you sure about this? We're risking getting caught!"

 "Are you sure about this? We're risking getting caught!"

Ave glanced back at her, her eyes filled with confidence. "Hush. As a creature of the night, you're surprisingly loud," she replied, continuing to lead the way towards a distant warehouse, far away from Nevermore Academy.

Yoko whispered back, her voice barely audible, "I never thought you would actually help me." She had believed Avery to just a friend or a roommate, but now she wasn't so sure. She now earned the best friend for life title for sure.

Suddenly, Ave spun around abruptly, causing Yoko to collide into her. Stepping back, Yoko found herself enveloped in Ave's arms as they pressed against a large tree for cover.

"Ave—" Yoko began, but Ave's hand covered her mouth, preventing her from speaking.

Laughter echoed in the distance, heavy boots cracking against the forest floor. They waited in silence until the sounds faded into the distance.

"That was a close call," Ave whispered, releasing her hand but still keeping a firm hold on Yoko.

"Um... Avery—" Yoko's voice quivered, uncertainty evident in her words.

 Avery—" Yoko's voice quivered, uncertainty evident in her words

Ave turned her head swiftly, wearing a dangerous smile. "How many times do I have to tell you?" She pressed her body closer to Yoko, the tree offering support. "It's Ave. I'm starting to think you don't really care about me at all."

Yoko's cheeks flushed, a faint heat spreading across her body. Ave's proximity and confident gaze overwhelmed her. She felt Ave's breath against her neck, lips gently grazing her chin before pulling away.

"I... I..." Yoko struggled to find her voice, but Ave released her, a mischievous smile on her face.

"Relax, girl. You're blushing like a rabbit caught in a trap," Ave said, walking away towards their destination. Yoko stood there, her breath heavy, feeling the lingering pressure in her chest.

Yoko's eyes widened as she stood before the large freezer door in the depths of the warehouse.

"Surprisingly easy to get in here without heavy security," Ave remarked, joining her at the freezer door and effortlessly opening it.