Chapter 35: Shadows Are Forming

Vermont, Hospital

The room grew tense as Xavier, Ken, Ajax, Bianca, Divina, and even a fully recovered Eugene engaged in a heated debate over a game of UNO. Accusations of cheating were thrown back and forth, escalating the tension.

Xavier, visibly irritated, shuffled his cards without acknowledging Bianca's concern about his downcast mood

Xavier, visibly irritated, shuffled his cards without acknowledging Bianca's concern about his downcast mood. The atmosphere reached its breaking point when Eugene played a "+4" card right before Xavier's turn, causing Xavier to explode in anger. Slamming his hands onto the table, he threw his cards in frustration.

Bianca, shocked by Xavier's outburst, demanded an explanation. But Xavier's frustration went beyond the game itself. In a moment of rage, he shouted at the entire group, questioning their lackadaisical attitude while the obvious someone, Avery, remained at large.

Xavier pulled out his phone and opened Twitter, sharing a recent news post he had come across. It contained video footage from a car's dash cam of a dramatic scene involving two figures fighting on top of an armored vehicle, which eventually veered off a cliff and into a lake. The report revealed that the vehicle was an FBI transport convoy carrying Avery Cortez, who was being tried for serious crimes including arson, murder, and rape.

The revelation left the group stunned. As the news continued, showing gas station footage featuring Avery and another wanted individual named Lilith, the gravity of the situation sank in. Avery and Lilith were wanted for heinous crimes, and it appeared that they were sisters.

Before anyone could process the shocking news, Yoko, who had been recovering in a hospital bed nearby, entered the room. Wearing a gown and wheeling a blood pole IV, she abruptly commanded the group to turn off the news and leave, expressing her need for solitude.

 Wearing a gown and wheeling a blood pole IV, she abruptly commanded the group to turn off the news and leave, expressing her need for solitude

Xavier began to speak, but Yoko cut him off, making it clear that she didn't want to discuss the situation further. The rest of the group quickly said their goodbyes and exited the room, leaving Yoko alone to process her emotions.

Divina hesitated near the bed, her worry visible. She asked if she could stay, but Yoko softly declined, explaining that she needed time alone. With a strained smile, Yoko gave Divina a weak hug before she left the room.