✧˖° | 01

I crossed my arms as I sat across from my mom at our dining table.

"There's something important I have to tell you," she'd said to me. "It'll be good for you. You'll love it."

"I'll be the judge of that," I'd responded.

"What is it, Mom?" I demanded. "Please make it quick."

All the 'important' things she had to tell me were, often times, utterly useless.

She had a smile—that smile I knew all too well— plastered on her face. Dread filled the bottom of my stomach. Something was up. I didn't like it.

She leaned forward, wrinkling the white tablecloth and establishing a sense of impending doom in the room.

"I have decided," she began slowly, "to transfer you."

My eyebrows furrowed as I tried to make sense of her words. "Transfer me?"

"Yes."

"Like, like transfer me to a different... mansion?"

"To transfer you to a different school."

My mouth dropped open. I was stunned. Gagged. Flabbergasted.

"You did what?!" I shrieked.

"Don't worry," she answered quickly, as if it was no big deal. "You'll love it there."

"Where is 'there?!'"

"To a high school, KISS. And I would really appreciate if you lowered your voice—"

"You've got to be kidding me. The school's name is KISS?" I yelled, running my fingers through my hair in frustration. "I've never even heard of it before! Where even is it?"

She glanced at me guiltily.

I met her eyes.

"Oh, no," I said, realizing the answer a second before she spoke. I had heard of KISS before. "No, no, no—"

"It stands for Korean Independent School of Seoul."

I felt my anger boiling. The incredible suddenness of the situation combined with my dramatic personality was not doing very well in that thing called a brain.

"SEOUL?" I screamed.

"PLEASE, my EARS—"

"MOM WHAT THE F—"

"One of my co-stars, Dami— you know her, right? Lovely lady—"

"Wait, wait, what? Mom! You can't just call me over and be like 'haha, you're moving to Korea in a week, BYEE' it doesn't work like that!"

"—she told me that her son goes to KISS and that he loves it there. It's one of the best schools in Korea."

I stood up, enraged. My chair toppled backwards, landing with a loud thump on the polished wooden floor.

"That's Korea, Mom!" I exclaimed. "You can't transfer me there just because your friend said it was cool. You didn't even tell me!"

"I'm telling you now, aren't I?"

I sat back down, furious, but knowing nothing I said would matter. My mother's nonchalant manner already told me enough. Everything was set already. The plane ride, the housing, the registration, the chauffeur, the tutors... everything.

"Who is this friend of yours, again?" I grumbled.

My mother's tone changed sensing my defeat. There was a glint in her eyes as her smile renewed itself.