✧˖° | 14

"Are you okay?"

My man glanced at me once before continuing to chop tomatoes.

"Yeah. Fine. Why?"

"It's Chuseok." I tried to find his gaze, but he just wasn't looking for mine. "This must be hard for you. Your parents are separated; not just from each other, but from you, too."

He shrugged it off, but I could tell he cared. And I could tell he cared that I knew.

Sighing, I pulled my lasagna tray out of the oven. He closed it and leaned on the counter with one hand on the high cabinet to get a better look at me.

"What about you?"

"What about me?"

He chuckled dryly as I set the lasagna down. "It's not just me who's separated. You must be thinking about your parents too."

I avoided his stare. "Yeah, but when you're here, it helps."

His face instantly flushed a light pink. "Yeah?"

"Yeah, and I'm not the one you should be worried about. Your best friend is." 

I rolled my eyes when he shot me a confused look. "Can you form a single thought at all? Dae? He's got to be thinking about his mom."

He grinned. "Yeah, but I'm talking about you, not Dae."

It was my turn to blush.

"I— yeah, I know."

"And of course I'm worried about my boy Dae. But what about your best friend? Kitty?"

I frowned as I thought about it. "Isn't it odd how with the four of us, two of us have separated parents, and the other two of us have dead moms?"

In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have phrased it like that, but sensitive isn't the first word anyone would use to describe me.

He also seemed thoughtful about it, which was a relief since he didn't burst into tears on the spot. 

"It's weird to say out loud," he agreed, "but I guess you're right."

I hesitated slightly. "Do you ever wish... sometimes... that things were different?"

"Different how? Between us?"

"No!" I exclaimed, turning red. "I mean... all the fame, and the publicity... it gets irritating sometimes, doesn't it?"

haha wish i could relate

"I know what you mean. It's hard being the children of a divorced, once 'beautiful, young starlet' and 'Chaebol heir.'"

I nodded, a wave of nostalgia surging through. Suddenly, I was reminiscing the times when my parents were close. 

"They used to call my parents 'the perfect pair,'" I murmured.

"A 'match made in heaven,'" Min Ho agreed bitterly.

I looked down at the cooked lasagna, and my mood dimmed even more.

"Why am I even making food for Kitty's event?"

"Why are you? Why am I? Is Kitty making anything?"

"Not that I know of."

Ding! My phone rang with a text.

"I heard Min Ho can cook. Who knew? Bring all the food and meet me in the cafeteria at 6:30!" I read. "It's from Kitty."

Min Ho's making the traditional Korean dishes and I'm making (don't laugh) lasagna. What are you making? I texted her. She quickly replied, "My award winning mashed potatoes😉"