✧˖° | 07

"What's this I hear?" my mother demanded over the phone the next morning. "You were at a party where people were drinking??"

"It's not that deep, Mom." I muttered.

"Don't tell me what's deep!" she shouted so loud I had to push the phone away from my ear. 

When it was safe to listen again, I continued to speak.

"Mom, I wasn't even drinking!"

"Maybe not, but the press doesn't know that. You were at the party. That's just as bad. You know I don't care, but the public does!"

"You care that the public cares, meaning technically you do care." I smart-mouthed.

"It's a good thing you weren't caught! Who else were you with?"

"Min Ho, I suppose. He got me out when Principal Lim and the authorities came."

There was a momentary silence on her end of the line. I tapped my phone impatiently. "Hello? Mom? Are you still there?"

"WHY DIDN'T YOU GET CAUGHT?!" she suddenly burst out, splitting my eardrums into two. I held the phone as far away from my head as possible.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?? I THOUGHT YOU WERE MAD AT ME BECAUSE I ALMOST GOT CAUGHT!" I yelled. I heard her shout in frustration.

"No, if you got caught holding hands at a party with Dami's son, rumors about you two would surface and everything would be set in motion!"

"I don't want rumors about Min Ho and I floating around!" I objected.

"I want you two to stir something up. Become the next big story. The teen hit romance. Star in a movie together and win an Oscar, I don't know!" she exclaimed. I slapped my forehead with my palm. Why did she have my whole life planned out already?

"Can you not focus on what affects your reputation for one singular second and instead focus on what your daughter wants?"

"I would, if your desires were actually reasonable." she snarled. Ouch. "You wish to throw away the family name your father and I have worked decades for."

"Hearing you talk about 'my father' is taking this whole debacle into a next level of hypocrite, Mom. You don't even call him your husband nowadays."

I almost saw the face she made. "Legally, we're married. But emotionally? He's dead to me."

"Damn, you really shouldn't be telling your daughter that." I told her, though I already knew this before so I didn't really care.

"I don't care anymore. You know what? You need someone to watch over you. You've already proven you can't be trusted roaming around without adult supervision. I'm sending you to your dad's place."

"No, please, Mom!" I yelled. "I have a dorm already! All to myself!"

"You paid for a single dorm??"

"Yes?"

She hissed through clenched teeth. "That defeats the purpose of having a dorm! You're supposed to make friends and learn new experiences and social skills."

"Fine. I'll get someone to share it with." I answered, thinking of Kitty, who was accidentally suffering the boys' dorm. "Just please don't send me to live with Dad. I love him, but he can be a little... much."

My mom let out a tired exhale, letting me know she knew exactly what I was talking about.

"Fine. But just so you know, you get your dramatic genes from him, not me."

"That's actually dead wrong—"

BZZ. She hung up on me. I scoffed.

"Unbelievable!"