Chapter 23 : Mint Cabbage Soup = Nightmare

Lisa started getting nervous, she scooped a spoonful, and  placed it at her mouth, while thinking in her heart that since this was  mint cabbage soup, then there definitely had to be cabbage and mint ma!  If things were as expected, then there wou...

Lisa started getting nervous, she scooped a spoonful, and placed it at her mouth, while thinking in her heart that since this was mint cabbage soup, then there definitely had to be cabbage and mint ma! If things were as expected, then there would definitely be salt. Apart from these, what else will there be?

There was a very flavourful fragrance at the tip of her nose, but what was the fragrance? Lisa found it very familiar, but she could not put a finger to it.

In the end, she put the spoon of soup into her mouth.

The temperature was just right, the texture clear and rich, the flavour of the cabbage was not as strong as she thought, which made the fresh fragrance of the mint slowly overflow as she circulated the soup.

The saltiness of the soup was weaker than Lin Ke Song's imagination, but there was a sweet aftertaste.

But this sweetness was more gentle and subtle than sugar...... it was from the fresh sweetness of the cabbage!

And together with this fresh sweetness was a slightly fruity taste, and a light sourness that belonged to a fruit, this tartness made the drinker feel an increase in appetite momentarily.

If Jungkook did not ask her to take note of the different levels of flavours, she'd probably have treated this soup and drunk it as a refreshing and appetising soup, never taking note of the many mysteries within the dish.

"Tell me, what is the first flavour you have come in contact with?"

"...... a unique fragrance. It smells very good, makes people work up an appetite, like a nut's flavour....." Lisa furrowed her brows, trying her best to think. This was the first exam that Jungkook gave her, she did not wish to hand up a blank paper.

"What kind of nut?"

Lisa searched in her mind. It wasn't peanuts, the fragrance of peanuts was different from this. It seemed like a little like roasted cashew nuts, but the fragrance was not as strong as cashew nuts. It was lighter, gentler, and...... it did not overpower the fragrance of the cabbage.

"Is it almonds?" Lisa asked unsurely.

"Right."

Jungkook's voice was very calm, like Lisa being able to figure out the almond flavour was as expected.

But with the answer of "Right", his lips opened for a moment, and Lisa felt inexplicable regret.

Because, just a little bit more, only a little bit more, and she would be able to see the tip of his tongue.

"What else is there?"

"There's also the flavour of cabbage. But I'm curious ...... how did the sweetness of the cabbage get into the soup? Was it simmered for a very long time?" Lisa started regretting after she asked the question.

"If the cabbage leaves are stewed for too long, not only will the nutrition of the cabbage be damaged, the cabbage will also lose its sweetness. The proper technique is to select the most tender parts of the cabbage to boil, and remove the tender cabbage leaves before they turn yellow, the timing has to be seized right at the appropriate time. The ratio of the water to the tender cabbage leaves have to be similar. If there is too much water, the sweet fragrance of the tender cabbage leaves will be bland."