Chapter 1: Background

Edited: 3/12/2024

(Narrator's POV)

So when Barry was in college, he had a small fling with this girl named Violet Baker. She had a crush on Barry, and when she saw him at a college party, she got the courage from her friends to talk to him. They started talking, and drinking. This leads to them getting drunk, and having sex. The next day, when Barry woke up and found out what had happened, he at first freaked out, thinking he had forced himself on Violet. But she reassured him that didn't happen. Violet then found out a couple of weeks later, that she was pregnant, and knew that Barry had to be the dad because she was a virgin before they had sex.

She was going to tell Barry about the news, but then Iris West, his best friend visited, and Violet saw how Barry reacted around Iris, and figured out that he loved Iris. But she still wanted to tell Barry the news, so at least he knew he had a kid. She wasn't that cruel. But Iris stopped her to ask her why she wanted to talk to Barry. He did tell Iris about his fling, and Iris didn't like that Violet wanted to talk to Barry. Violet told Iris that this was between her and Barry, but Iris told her "It was just some stupid drunk mistake. Why do you NEED to talk to Barry?" Violet got offended by Iris's comment, telling her it was none of her business.

Iris got annoyed, telling Violet "I am Barry's BEST friend and practically his sister. So whatever you got to tell him, you HAVE to tell me!" Violet was annoyed by this and told Iris about the pregnancy. Iris was shocked but asked Violet how she could be sure it was Barry's. Violet told Iris that she comes from a VERY religious family, so she knew she was a virgin before she slept with Barry. Telling Iris the child HAS to be his.

Iris was annoyed by this but also knew that Violet was right. Though she told her "Barry isn't ready to be a dad. What do you want from him?" Violet told Iris that she didn't want anything from Barry. All she wanted was to inform him about his kid because she wasn't that cruel. Telling her that it is up to Barry if he wants to be in his kid's life. But at least he would know about the kid, to make that choice for himself. Iris knew how much Barry always wanted kids, and raised them. So she knew he would choose to be in the kid's life. But she didn't like that at all.

So Iris told Violet "Well, Barry wouldn't want to even be in your kid's life. He told me how he regretted having sex with you. So if you went to him now, telling him about the pregnancy, he's not going to be happy about it, and tell you to have an abortion."  Violet was shocked about this but didn't admittedly believe Iris's words. Iris saw this and then decided to make sure Violet NEVER tells Barry about the pregnancy. She blackmailed Violet. By telling her "If you tell Barry or even THINK about it, I will tell the whole school how you are a slut, and how this kid couldn't POSSIBLY be Barry's! So if you try to tell him that it is. He's not going to believe you and call you out on it. Then word will get back to your religious family and you will be a single mother with no support from anyone!" Violet was shocked by this threat, but she did believe Iris would do this. Her expression said it all. Iris had a smug expression on her face, there was no doubt she would do this to Violet.  So in the end, Violet never told Barry about the pregnancy. She made sure to stay away from him. Thus they drifted apart.

When Violet went home for a holiday, someone in her family found out about the pregnancy. Her whole family went up in an uproar, asking her so many questions about the father. She knew if she told them who the father was, they would seek out Barry, tell him, and Iris would make good on her promise. So instead of telling her family the truth, Violet told her family that her roommate drugged her while they were studying, and that's all she can remember. So her family assumed her roommate drugged her, then had someone rape her. 

Her parents didn't want to look bad by anyone else in their community, so they had their daughter go out with one of the church boys, have sex, then lie about how far along she was, to make it look like HE'S the one that got her pregnant. When she did this, both families decided they needed to marry. So Kevin Smith married Violet Baker. Violet was then forced to drop out of college by her family and Kevin's family and become a stay-at-home mother. She didn't love this at all but had no other choice. Then Kevin started working at the church, which wrapped his views on things.