Chapter 4: Things You Can't Outrun

Edited: 3/12/2024

(Barry's POV)

I had just finished a movie with Iris and was now leaving the movie theater. I wish I could have done this with my daughter, but Iris wouldn't like that at all. It does pain me not to tell Alex that I am her father, but she seems happy with her foster parents, and I don't want to ruin her life. She had been bounced from foster home to foster home, and she looks like she finally is happy where she is. I don't want to ruin that for her.

Barry: "Regular movie scale, that was a seven or an eight. Zombie movie scale, it was like, a four, tops."

She looks at me shocked and confused. But she was smiling, and started to laugh, so I know she wasn't too weirded out.

Iris: "There's a zombie movie scale?"

I laughed and nodded my head. I then went on a rant about these spores that infect ants and then spread. She seems almost lost in what I am talking about. I could tell she wasn't listening, but I expected that, since she doesn't understand what I am saying half the time.

Iris: "Anyways, I'm a lot more interested in the amazing as of late."

I looked at her shocked, but also excited. She's talking about me...or well, she's talking about "The Streak" which just so happens to be me, but she doesn't know that, because Joe made me promise him I won't tell her. Just another important secret I have to keep.

Barry: "You mean the whole "Streak" thing?"

She looked at me annoyed and rolled her eyes.

Iris: "He's out there. People are talking about him."

I looked at her confused. How does she even know my gender? All I've ever seen people post on the internet were photos of a red blur. You can't tell my gender in those photos.

Barry: "How do you even know he's a he? Maybe it's a she."

She laughed and shook her head.

Iris: "It's a man, okay. You know I am intuitive about this kind of stuff. Someone even posted a picture after being yanked from a car accident. It is a red blur leaving the scene. Here."

She quickly pulled her phone out of her purse and showed it to me.

Iris: "What do you see?"

I looked at her phone, just as Eddie started to call her. I internally groaned, and she looked at me confused.

Barry: "I see your boyfriend's calling."

She looked at me shocked, then quickly turned her phone to her.

Iris: "Oh, I should probably get this. I'm crashing at his place tonight, and he's supposed to leave a key for me somewhere."

I internally groaned again and nodded my head. She answered the call and walked a bit away from me to talk to Eddie. Just then my phone started ringing. I pulled it out of my pocket, to see that Cisco was calling me. I answered it.

Barry: "Hello."

Cisco: "Code 237 on Waid Boulevard."

Um, what? Isn't that the code for Public Indecency? Can't the police handle something like that? I don't think The Streak is needed for that.

Barry: "Public Indecency?"

Cisco: "Wait, I think I meant a 239."

Okay, that's the code for Dog Leash Violation. I don't think The Streak is needed for that as well. So long as the dog isn't attacking anyone.