70. Secrets and loans: part 1

"We got them!" Me and Rory exclaim as we enter Luke's.

We had been given our PSAT scores. It had been a hectic couple of weeks, with the girls, and the studying, but I was hoping I still did decent on them.

"You did? Hurry up, open them!" Mom yells. "Okay, just remember these are the PSAT's, okay? So it's like the baby gap. They don't count as much. Plus, you are both very young. You have years of learning ahead of you. The really important thing is that you tried very hard."

"I got a 740 verbal and a 760 math." Rory tells us

"Ah! Thank god you're not an idiot." Mom sighs in relief as I read my scores.

"I got a 740 verbal and a 760 math?" Rory repeats herself.

"Those are damn good scores, little lady, really. Amazing. Top-notch. Those are PSAT-rific. Sorry, it was just laying there, I had to go for it." Mom apologizes. "Why are you frowning?"

"How did I get a higher score in math?" Rory asks

"Who cares."

"I'm stronger in verbal. Verbal is my thing." Rory explains

"No, verbal is my thing." Mom points out

"Maybe I didn't study hard enough. Maybe I got cocky." Rory begins

"Maybe you need a mud bath/salt glow/chill pill combo." Mom states

"I'm just saying—"

"Rory, you got a great score." Mom tells Rory

"Yeah, but—"

"No. A great score. What about you missy?" Mom rests a hand on my arm.

"I got a 670 math and 750 verbal." I explain with a touch of sadness in my voice. It was a good score, an amazing score even, but I wanted just a bit better in maths. Maths was never my strong point though.

"That is so good hon. Remember, it's not so easy for you." Mom points out, noticing the sadness.

"I know." I smile

"They are both amazing scores that you have earned and deserve and will allow you both to look down at me for many years to come. We should celebrate. How about we all get dressed up tonight and gut 'the rocky horror picture show'?" Mom tells us

"I can't." I say, referring to the girls. I could've gotten Tristan to look after them, but I missed them and I missed Tristan. And anyway, I have to give Tristan his scores. 

"We'll do it another time, okay hon?" Mom tells me

"Okay, thank you."

The following morning, I got up and decided to get a coffee and sit in the porch. It was still all white from the snow and looked so pretty.

As I walking outside I decide to stop just in front of the steps, still on the porch though. As I Take another step, my ankle goes through the wood on the floor and the next thing I know my ankle is hurting really badly and I'm laying on the floor.

"Tristan? Mom? Rory? Anybody?" I shout. I manage to get my ankle out of the hole in the porch floor and it looked identical to when I broke it.

"What's wrong?" Tristan asks me as him, mom and Rory come and find me.

"My ankle. I think it's broken." I reply

"Oh, tori. Can you stand up? What happened?" Mom questions me

"The floor, it just gave way and my ankle went down the hole." I explain

"Come here. I'll drive you to the hospital." Tristan picks me up bridal style before carrying me towards the car.