one

The light sheet of snow crunched under his timberland boots as he took his first steps outside as a free man

Snowflakes fell above his head, following the guidance of the wind as they blew past him. Looking up the sky he admired the blank white and blue sky for just a moment before looking toward the street.

With a toothpick wedged between his teeth he exhaled, sending a noticeable fog from his nostrils. Wearing the same clothes he was arrested in, the cold air sent chills over his body.

Finally reaching the reinforced gate, he turned his head and gave a deadpan expression to the guard.

"You'll be back." She spoke, a sly smug on her face. She was so sure he'd be back. You would've thought she knew the future.

Probably. He thought to himself before turning his face back to what lay ahead of him. On the other side of this gate was freedom. After 4 years, he'd finally be back on his own time.

The gate buzzed loudly before the clicking & clacking sounded off. The bolts and locks of the prison gate coming undone.

Once it was out of his way, he let his feet carry him away the shit hole he had spent 35,040 hours inside of....but who was counting.

Finally.

He could see his cousin leaning against his car at the curb, a big smile on his face. Clearly eager to see his family for the first time in ages.

The closer he got, the more excited his cousin became, damn near jumping at the sight of his best friend finally free and home after those long years.

"Cousin!" He said with excitement, pushing himself up from the car.

"You need to calm the fuck down." Syre mumbled.

Marcus kissed his teeth, but still a smile remained on his face.

"You always so damn mean. A nigga missed you man. Come here."

"Go on man." Syre waved his cousin off. He didn't want to be touched.

"Fuck you, I'm finna hug you and ain't shit you gon do about it." Marcus said factually before wrapping his arms tightly around his cousin.

Marcus knew that Syre wouldn't hug him back, but it didn't matter. He was out. He was finally out of prison and standing in front of him. How could he not give him a hug?

Syre stood still, waiting for his cousin to let him go. No emotions across his face other than slight annoyance. He despised being touched, but he tried to understand how his cousin felt. He tried to imagine what it would be like if the shoe was on the other foot. They hadn't seen each other or been face to face in years, so he let him have it.