thirty-nine

"Well if you didn't get so damn sassy—"

"Sassy? I'm sassy? Don't ever say that shit again."

Rolling my eyes at Syre, I leaned back into the booth and tilted my head.

"You never listen. You always gotta react. Not hearing what people say and just wanna snap. That's the definition of sass."

"I ain't sassy. I just ain't finna sit around and listen to some bullshit. So it's no need for you to finish talking."

Rolling my eyes again, I grabbed my milkshake and took a sip.

He was so stubborn. Literally all I was trying to say was that I wanted to use some of my money to buy a loft. And here he go, being rude.

"You'on need no loft. Apartment is just fine bro."

"But you not hearing me."

"I heard you. You want a loft cuz that's your own space and you don't have to worry about neighbors. Ain't gotta worry about a parking spot. I heard you Alexis. But it's a dumb idea for now."

Well fuck, maybe he was listening...

"You know what comes with a loft? Property taxes, Gas & Electric, Water & Plumbing. Heating the place. Maintenance, like front yard and HOA fees. A lot of other shit that you're not ready to deal with. You got a lil money now and that's great, and you've been managing it like I showed you to. But you not ready to own your own home. You need to be focused on school. Once you graduate, then maybe you can think about getting your own crib. You need to take shit easy and drive slow." He said before popping French fries into his mouth.

I sighed and sat up. "Okay...I'm sorry. You're not sassy."

"I knew dat. You just don't like hearing someone tell you no. I ain't shitting on your ideas, I just don't want you jumping the gun on things and getting screwed. Ight?"

"Yea...I got it."

"How's class?"

"It's good. I finally finished that paper. Turned it in this morning."

"Good. Know you finna get an A anyway."

"How you know?"

He gave me a flat expression and popped another French fry.

"Lex, you smart. You always been smart, in the books where it matters. I ain't got that."

"Syre, you're not dumb or nothing so—"

"I ain't. But ion got no college degree. Shit, I don't even have a High School diploma. But you? You gon do that shit. Walk across that stage on boss shit with a whole college education."