four

The night pressed on, it was nearing midnight and my apartment had gone from cold to absolutely fucking freezing

Glancing over at Syre, I noticed he had fallen asleep. His arms pulled back into the sleeves of the hoodie while he sat sunken in my sofa.

I was starting to feel a little guilty because I knew he was cold and although he didn't deserve shit from me...the least I could do was get his mean ass a blanket.

I stood up quietly, leaving my blanket on the recliner behind me. I headed down the hall,  stopping at my linen closet and grabbed another blanket off the shelf. I closed the door and headed back to the living room with the folded blanket in my hand.

Letting it unravel as I held the corners, I shook the wrinkles out before draping it over his body. I watched as a smirk spread across his lips and he squirmed underneath the blanket.

"Knew you wouldn't let a nigga freeze to death." He said with a rasp.

"Don't ruin it. I'll take that shit back." I mumbled before walking back to the recliner.

Sitting down, I wrapped myself back in my blanket. Almost like a burrito. I looked over at Syre who sat awake now, repeatedly pressing the power button on his phone that obviously wouldn't turn on.

"Fuck." He mumbled before leaning forward and dropping it on my coffee table. Giving up his efforts and realizing it had died.

I couldn't believe the generator still hadn't come on. 30 minutes my ass, I should've known better. The wind and snow were still beating against the building, it wasn't letting up in the slightest.

I was freezing, bored and stuck in a room with Syre. I couldn't think of anything worse.

Things like this are what made me eager to move out of this building. I had been saving for a house out in the suburbs, and I prayed that it was going to come through soon enough. I was too good to be living like this and that isn't anything conceited. I just know I deserved better.

The silence in the room began to irritate me and I tried to think of small talk I could try and make with Syre.

My better bet was trying to fall asleep...maybe I should stick to that plan instead.

Obviously I had questions about the man sitting in my living room, but he was easy to figure out and I was sure if I asked he'd tell me to mind my business.

"Why are you eyeing me down? You really do got a staring problem..." He spoke as I snapped put of my thoughts.

I scoffed and replied. "I wasn't even looking at you. I was looking in that direction."

"Lying ass girl."

"You wanna go back across the hallway night light boy?"

He sucked his teeth and groaned. "You not even funny."