thirty-six

"If she don't pull up in the next 30 seconds—"

"Kani, shut up." Sybil fussed at me as we waited for Heather to show up for this little meeting.

I wasn't tryna hear any of this shit anyway and I would gladly leave.

"Sorry I'm late." Her voice broke through my thoughts and I looked up. Watching as she slid into the booth across from us.

Sybil greeted her plainly and I kept my mouth shut.

It had been about a week since she popped up at my door claiming she was carrying my kid. And at this point, all I wanted to hear was one thing. Wasn't anytime to beat around the bush.

"Syre." Sybil nudged my arm with a raised eyebrow. I sat back into the booth and looked over at Heather who was eyeing me nervously.

"Hi."

She sighed and placed her hands on the table.

"Okay...look we don't have to make this a drawn out thing, Ight? Ima start by apologizing, I shouldn't have popped up at your apartment like that but you did block my number. You left me with no other way to get in touch with you."

I rolled my eyes, I ain't give a shit about none of that.

She turned her attention to Sybil and frowned. "And I know it's not what we here to talk about, but I'm sorry for the shit I was DM'ing you."

I snapped my head in Sybil's direction and she deliberately didn't look my way. I had no idea about any DM's being sent to anybody.

"Care to explain that?"

She waved her hand at me, not giving me a response. "No."

"I was being petty. That's all." Heather interrupted.

"You were 2 seconds from getting yo ass beat, but I stayed calm." Sybil mumbled.

"You wasn't gon tell me bout it?"

"It wasn't nothing phasing me, so no."

I sucked my teeth and shook my head.

Heather continued. "I'll be two months next Monday, so—"

"That kid ain't mine. Like I said from the beginning." I said smartly.

Sybil slapped my arm and I looked at her.

"What?"

"Calm the fuck down."

I sucked my teeth, leaning back into my previous spot.