thirty-eight

"Shit wasn't supposed to be like this and you know it

"Shit wasn't supposed to be like this and you know it."

Staring at Prince, I clenched my jaw at his words. She wasn't supposed to be like this, yet he was moving funny behind my back. He had nobody to blame but himself.

"Why it gotta be like this? We was brothers."

I shrugged, not saying a word.

"Cube, You not gon let a bitch come between us. Ion even know where the fuck shawty at, she just vanished."

I shrugged again. "This ain't about that bitch. She ain't come between us." I said flatly. "You ain't got no respect for me P. If you did, you wouldn't have been sneaking behind me. My brother would've been honest wit' me. You could've came to me straight and said she was hitting on you, she's a hoe. I ain't expect shit less from her. But you didn't. You sat in my face like you wasn't doing weird shit. If you do that, what else you finna do on the low? What else you do when I'm not looking?"

He shook his head. "How I gotta gain your trust back man?"

"Why you want it?"

He hesitated before replying. Stuttering over his words. "Cuz...cuz we like family."

I nodded. "Not cuz you got no where else to turn to and you need money?"

Prince sighed. "Fuck the money, I'll take a pay cut if I can get back in. I'll go back on corners, whatever man. Just lemme make this shit up."

I shook my head. "Ion think I could trust you bro." I sighed. "Plus I been hearing some unsavory things man."

"Unsavory? Whoever chatting in yo ear bout shit lying man."

"Veah told me to watch my back around you...not too long ago she said that." I confessed. It was a very brief conversation with her, but that was the note she left off on. It caught me off guard but I kept it close. Never forgetting her words.

Now Veah was always one say things to cause a stir, but I remembered all those moments I caught them hushed in corners. Chatting about shit i couldn't overhear. So I took her warning at face value.

"You listen to her now?"

"She ain't never did me dirty." I sat up straight and folded my arms. "You got anything you wanna tell me?"

Now he was the one clenching his jaw, in clear annoyance but it was obvious I pressed a button close to the heart. I tapped my fingers against the table as we sat in the relatively empty diner. My gut was telling me to leave Prince where he was. Away from me, away from my business.

"Ain't nothing to be said, now is you gon bury this shit or what?" He almost spoke through gritted teeth, trying to keep his calm.

I shook my head. "Nah, P.... I need people behind me I don't have second thoughts about, folks I ain't checking over my shoulder for. Lately you been off, that shit with ol' girl was just a cherry on top. I hate knives in my back, be better for you to stab me face to face." I said calmly.