eleven

"You never come see me anymore, so I'm surprised you would just drop by

"You never come see me anymore, so I'm surprised you would just drop by." My mom said as she joined me in her kitchen.

I had decided to stop by because she's always in a mood that I don't. Though I had my reasons, one of them being I owned a business and had shit to do.....or the fact that I just didn't want to....I came anyway.

"Well, I didn't come home for the holidays so...."

"Yea and you should have." She sassed.

"I wasn't going to sit around here like an outcast." I told her plainly.

Another reason.

"You're not an outcast Star. This is your family, I know you and your dad have problems but—"

"No buts. We have problems, is a complete sentence. I came here to spend time with you momma, if we're gonna turn this into a "fix it" session, I will head back to the city."

She gave me a sad face before shrugging her shoulders. "Okay, I won't push. Did you eat?"

"Not really, I grabbed a bagel before I left this morning."

"Well then, I'll make you a plate. I got leftover grits & eggs. Some bacon too."

"Thank you."

I sat at the island as she turned back to the stove.

I absolutely adored my mother but her exhausting need to mediate problem between me and my father left me in an uncomfortable position, sometimes I just didn't want to be around her at all because of it. She also had this annoying habit of popping up on me uninvited. She did it way more than I appreciated l, as if I don't have things going on.

My Dad was a good guy, I guess. His priorities just weren't right, at least they weren't right in my opinion.

He didn't mistreat me. He wasn't abusive, not physically, emotionally? Yea, that man basically abandoned me.

If you've ever had to deal with a parent that thinks providing for the child is more important than actually being there for the child, then you know exactly what I mean.

I had everything I could ever want, except his presence or his time when I needed it. He never came to anything important. My cheer competitions or spelling bees. He never escorted me out of the house when I was on my way to school dances, not even my prom.

He was just never around. Making money came first.

He made sure to buy me the nicest things though. Nicest shoes, nicest bags. Nice clothes.