fifty

Sybil watched behind Syre as he stood before the burial plot

Sybil watched behind Syre as he stood before the burial plot. Everyone had long gone after the funeral, but he couldn't move. He stayed from the moment they began lowering her into the ground. 

Staring down at the mahogany casket that held Alexis inside, he was frozen. The rain beat roughly against the wood as it slipped through the shabby tent above the plot.

He chewed his bottom lip, clutching roses in his fist.

"We were....so much better........" he paused. Exhaling a trembled sigh. "We were right there...after I wasted so much time being angry at you for something out of your control." He mumbled. Blinking the tears away from his eyes, they ran down his cheeks, mixing with the rainfall. "I wasted so much time being angry instead of being a part of....you. I missed out on everything....and I did it to myself." He sobbed through his words. "I ruined it....and I...I tried to make it better.....you called me Dad." He paused. "....and it wasn't weird." He laughed nervously, still crying even thought he was trying to stop. "It wasn't weird...I felt...full. Hearing it....I'm never gonna hear it again..."

Sybil stood by her car, clutching her umbrella in hand and watching Syre as he stared at the ground.

She didn't are how this was fair. Syre made so many choices lately, to battle his demons. To confront them and accept them as a part of who he had become. He had mended his bond with Alexis and they were getting along so well. They were finally at that place.

Now this....

Sybil knew this wasn't going to be an easy healing process for him, and it was going to knock him back down. The days prepping for the funeral, he barely even spoke. He was in denial when we were on the way to the hospital, but when he saw her laying there in the morgue...he shut down completely.

Lately, if you did get him to speak...it was emotionless, cold, short tempered and angry.

Lifting her foot, she wanted to step forward and go be by his side but she thought against it. She didn't know how to approach him, she didn't know what she could do to make it better.

There was really nothing she could do.

Syre dropped his roses into the 6ft hole and a twinge pained in his chest. He fell to his knees, the muddy grass squelching underneath him.

Sybil dropped her umbrella and ran over to him without hesitation.

"I should be the one in this fuckin hole! All the shit I did....she's innocent....how is that right?" He cried loudly and Sybil wrapped her arms around him.

"Shh...shh.....I got you..."

Letting out another shaky breath, he looked up at his girlfriend.

"What am I supposed to do next, huh? What?" He said above a whisper and Sybil frowned.

She didn't have an answer. She didn't know what she was supposed to say, so she just continued to hold him tight.