Chapter Nine

Thomas didn't stay long after signing the contract, in fact he didn't stay at all

Thomas didn't stay long after signing the contract, in fact he didn't stay at all. He kindly bid Aurelia goodbye and as he was being walked out her girls teasingly waved at him and in unison bid him fare well with a "Goodbye Mr. Shelby!" a few giggles coming from the group. Aurelia smiled at her girl's silliness. "Goodbye ladies." He says still bluntly but friendly enough for the group to know that he wasn't bothered by the tease. "I should expect a couple of men in bladed peaked caps in a few days' time?" Aurelia asked making sure they were both clear on the arrangement. "I'll even send a letter with whom exactly you should expect. When should I expect you to reach out with information on your connections?" He asks lighting one of his own cigarettes, the bottle of whiskey so courteously gifted to him by Aurelia under his arm. "They'll reach out to you, Thomas, after you send your men."

Thomas worked quickly. After his brothers and him got home that night he had already told Lizzie of her new secretary position and had picked out eight men to send to London, sending the list with a little note 'To friendship' written at the bottom and sent it, the bottle of her whiskey sat on his desk. The next morning, he went and informed the men of their new jobs and sent them on their way. Thomas was moving his family up in the world and it felt good. Aurelia had gotten the list of names earlier than she thought. She looked the names over a few times before placing the letter in a desk drawer and picking up her office phone. She had the operator connect her to her dear friend and when the voice answered with a "Fuck d'ya wan'?" He sounded stressed and tired. "Shalom, Alfie." Aurelia greeted her brother figure.

Alfie Solomons is not only her rum supplier he is also her friend, helped her when she was pregnant with Marianna. The two met in odd circumstances, she reached out to Alfie to see if he could supply the rum for her club months prior to the opening and when Aurelia was very much showing being a few months into her pregnancy. Alfie noticed that she only wanted to do business through letters, never in person so he got curious and hunted her down at the nearly done club living in her office, alone and pregnant. What was left of his heart broke at the sight when he found her about to go to sleep in her office, said she didn't want to risk the walks up to the rooms anymore since she was showing. Aurelia told him her entire story, not keeping any secrets, she even told him about Steven and the nightmare he was. Alfie and Aurelia grew a friendship from then on that turned into familial love.

"My Angel has blessed me with her voice! I aven't talked to you in a long time, love, 'ows me niece?" Aurelia smiled and rolled her eyes at Alfie. "I talked to you the day you sent the bread over Alfie. Marianna is doing well but I think she needs a visit from her Uncle Alfie soon." She told him honestly. "Then her Uncle Alfie the princess gets! Now, what does The Angel need from her devil brother, eh?" Alfie asked with suspicion in his voice. "I'm sure you've heard of the mess at Sabini's club a few nights ago, with the Peaky Blinders?" She asked sure that the Solomons had heard of it by now. "Yeah, He's been pullin me fuckin' leg since the fucks went and destroyed the fucking joint. Say's 'e wants a fucking truce, or some sit like tha'." Alfie said clearly getting annoyed already. "Well, I'm in business with Thomas Shelby, he's the boss and I'm friends with his brother Arthur. Thomas and I have an agreement that could benefit you in ridding of Sabini's pain in the ass self." Aurelia enticed him and she heard a hum on the other line and knew Alfie was interested.

The next day in Birmingham Aurelias connections would come through. "Would you stop fucking fighting me!" Thomas shouted at Polly as the woman scolded him on his stupid actions. "Someone has to! Look at what came in today from Camden Town!" Polly threw the note on Tommy's desk.

'An Angel suggested we break bread.

-A.S.'

As Polly continued her warning Thomas had his gears turning, he knew that the note was from Alfie Solomons, he just didn't know how Aurelia was able to get the man to have a chat with him. When he had told his that he would handle the situation and she stormed off Thomas picked up the phone and made a call to an Angel. However, Polly was watching her nephew with close eyes. She knew that the 'Angel' mentioned in the note must be someone Thomas knew. "Cruz." The woman's accented voice reached Thomas' ears. "Hello Aurelia." Thomas greeting plainly but Polly could tell this 'Aurelia' already had her nephew by the balls even if neither she nor he knew it yet. She grew very cautious about her seeing how the last girl who had Thomas like that turned out to be a fucking spy. "Thomas, I assume my friend has reached out to you?" Aurelia said with cockiness to her tone, knowing that Aurelia being close to Alfie would throw the gangster off at least slightly.

"Yes, he did. What I want to know is how you got him to agree to a chat with me?" He asked fully in curiosity. "I merely brought you up and our deal and how it could benefit him in the long run." She answered though Thomas could tell that there was a piece to that truth that was missing. "Why do I feel like that's not the whole truth?" Thomas teased, his expression letting a smile through. Polly was nearly floored, not even Grace had gotten Thomas that close to a full smile so soon after meeting him. She didn't know if that made this 'Aurelia' more likeable or more lethal. "It's the truth you'll get. Have a good day, Thomas." She answered cutting the conversation short not only because she was busy but to stop herself from flirting with him like she wants to. "Have a good day, Aurelia." He says lowly and somewhat not wanting to stop hearing her voice but they both had business to do. "When do we meet her?" Polly asks as soon as he hangs up the phone. "She's a friend, Pol." Thomas waves his aunt off. "You don't have friends and friends don't make you nearly smile like that Tommy. I hope for your sake and this families, she's nothing like the last." Polly says knowingly. "She isn't, she's a friend is all. Ask Arthur, he's known her longer." He says trying to not have her pry into his emotions like she tries to do often. Polly lets out an unamused hum letting the topic go for now.