Chapter Forty-Three

Aurelia was officially losing her mind

Aurelia was officially losing her mind. Marianna's birthday morning went splendidly with a delicious homemade breakfast that Aurelia put together so the cooks could focus on the celebration feast later; but it was simply the calm before the storm. "No Ricardo higher up on your side!" She was yelling at her cousin as he angled the birthday banner higher. "Perfect! Where's the candy?! Why is it over there?!"  She started screaming once more.

"And how am I doing?" Thomas asked coming up behind her lifting her into a hug. "You are perfectly on time. Mi alma, can you please check on the kitchen for me and put your gift on the table over there?" She asked with a pout that Thomas kissed away. "Of course, love. But uh my gift wont exactly fit on the table." Thomas said with a cheeky smile. "Well, the main one won't but the accessories to it can." He continued as Aurelia stared into his soul with displeasure. "Others? Am spus să nu înnebunesc cu cadourile, Thomas! (I told you not to go crazy on presents, Thomas!)" She groaned leaning her head on his chest as he laughed. "Ei bine, nu am putut să o las pe Alfie să-i primească cadouri mai bune, nu-i așa? (Well, I couldn't let Alfie get her better presents, could I?)" He defended kissing the top of Aurelias head. "Mm, just put the presents you can on the table and check on the kitchen. Be nice to them please they are already frightened of you." She said placing a kiss on his lips before walking away to complete her other list of duties.

Marianna had spent an amazing day with her cousins on both her her momma and papa's sides at Aunt Pol's. "Alright let's all get inside!" Pol, Ada, Esme and Nadia were trying to wrangle the kids into the giant mansion that is Arrow House. Marianna Heard music playing from the outside of the home and now it only got louder the closer she got to the ballroom. "There's our birthday girl!" Thomas said with a glass of whiskey in his one hand as his other to place on Aurelia's hip. The room shouted with happy birthdays and claps as Marianna looked around. She ran to her parents and hugged them both as they hugged her in return. "Happy birthday, mi vida. (my life)." Aurelia said kissing her daughter's temple. "Happy birthday, domniţă. (Princess / Sweetheart)" Thomas says bringing his little girl into a big hug. "Is all this for me?" Marianna asks looking at the party and the presents. "Of course it's all for you, dolly!" Alfie says leaning on his cane. "Oh, Thank you everyone!" Marianna says with a giggle before pulling her cousins to play with her.  The party had went on smashingly and then the time fore presents came along one by one she opened and loved each present she got saving the present from Thomas last. She had opened an array of toys, books, drawing papers, paints, clothes, etc. She had just finished gushing over the grand doll house with extra dolls she was gifted by Alfie who looked very smug about his amazing present. "Thank you, Uncle Alfie!" She said with a wide smile. There wasn't anymore presents on the table but she hadn't yet opened her father's so Aurelia tugs his arm silently asking about his gift but only receiving a sly smile. "Anything for you, Dolly." Alfie smiles at his niece.

"Now let's do Papa's gift?" Aurelia says looking a bit confused. "My gift wouldn't fit on the table, Mari, I had to leave it outside until I was ready to give it to you." Thomas and gesturing to Johnny Dogs who could barely contain his own child like excitement about the surprise. When the clicking of tiny hooves sounded against the tile Aurelia's eyes widened. "Jesus fucking Christ." She cursed when she realized what Thomas got Marianna. Johnny Dogs then rounds the corner with a foal at his side and Marianna gasps before letting out excited squeals and laughs. "Papa got me a horse-y!" She shouts before hugging him and thanking him a million times over.

The kids all get closer to the tiny horse making their awed observations. Once Marianna releases her father from her grasps she gingerly goes over to the horse and lets the baby animal become familiar with her. "It's a girl. You can name her anything you want and we'll keep her here at the house. Johnny and I will teach you how to ride and take care of her until you can do it on your own." Thomas says mostly to convince Aurelia not to kill him for buying their daughter a fucking horse. By the looks of the horse, it's a Dutch Warmblood, she's a beauty and if taken proper care of she'll be quite the beast. As Aurelia watched Thomas talk to the kids about horses and Marianna eat up every little word he said, an ache stirred in her for a moment that she pushed away. Polly and Valentina, however, they saw the ache and they grinned at the prospects of a bigger family.

"What's her name then, bebe?" Aurelia asked her daughter as she ran a hand over the foal earning a very approving response from the baby horse who loved all the attention it was receiving. Marianna also seemed to notice that the animal loved the spotlight. "Her name is Hollywood Betty. Holly for short." Marianna said with a bright smile. "I think that's a perfect name." Aurelia said. "ce zici fata? Acesta este numele tău? (What do you say girl? That your name?)" Aurelia asked the horse who stopped their foot and bobbed her head which Aurelia took as an outstanding yes. "Mhm. Well then, Hollywood Betty it is." Aurelia said with a augh before meeting Thomas' eyes and seeing the cheeky smile on his face knowing he wasn't in trouble for such an extravagant gift.

Aurelia stood and faced her lover giving him a sweet kiss. "You're lucky you're so fucking dashing, Thomas Shelby. Otherwise, I'd be livid." She said with a smirk pulling on her full lips. "Ms. Cruz, be as livid with me as you want. Just as long as you still love me." Thomas said sweetly but there was something off to him in his words. "Aurelia Cruz." He tested her name and it wasn't as heart pumping as before. "Thomas Shelby?" She answered in confusion. 'Aurelia Shelby'. Thomas thought to himself and suddenly his heart thudded louder and his smile widened completely. "Nothing. Just saying your name." He said and while Aurelia found it amusing and odd, she brushed it off with another kiss to her lovers' lips. It was that moment that Thomas started his plan to ask his goddess to marry him.

The week after Marianna's birthday is when Thomas had gone to Valentina's caravan on their property, the Lee's and the Flores' becoming neighbors on Shelby property. "Hello, niño!" Valentina greets him with a kiss on the cheek before ushering for Thomas to sit. "So, what is it that has you so nervous?" Valentina asks with a smirk. "Mrs. Flores I-" "Tia, darling, call me Tia." She interrupts him. Thomas clears his throat and folds his hands in his lap to prevent himself from reaching for a cigarette in his stress. "Tia, I wanted your permission to ask for Aurelia's hand." Thomas says and Valentina's expression doesn't change a bit. "Well, go on, ask for permission!" She says motioning for Thomas to hurry along.

"I love your niece with every bit of me. She saved me, and she's loved me like no woman had before. I will spend every moment of my life cherishing her with or without your permission, with or without a marriage certificate. I want your blessing to marry her but I do not need it to love her for the rest of my days. So, can I marry Aurelia with your blessing?" Thomas confessed and with every word of his love for Aurelia his voice did not waiver nor did his eyes shift away from Valentina's. After two beats of his nervous heart Valentina smiled widely. "Yes!" She exclaimed cupping Thomas' face and kissing each of his cheeks. Thomas was beyond relieved and chuckled as the excited woman began to celebrate by dancing a bit. Now to tell Polly and Ada.