Chapter Seventeen

Aurelia woke up late

Aurelia woke up late. She had spent hours doing paperwork when she should have been sleeping and now, she's gotten Marianna dressed and eating while she rushes around her room putting on clothes and doing her hair. A dress and some tights were the quickest to put on so she threw those on and decided the easiest thing to do with her hair was to pin it back she had no time for any make up or breakfast, but she always put her earrings in, a habit her mother formed in her. When she finished there was a knock at the front door, and it was time for Marianna to go to school and Aurelia to go to work.

The single mother was still drowsy, but she can't just not show up to her job in which she's the boss so after Marianna was in Mrs. Goodwin's care she went straight to work. Walking the alleys of London in haste, Aurelia hoped she could at least have a cup of coffee when she got to work. The needle pin holding her hair back was a bit too tight and will surely give her a headache as the day went on. Aurelia made it to work the same time she always does, bursting through the doors and headed right behind the bar where the coffee and tea is. Aurelia's girls could see that she was tired and the desperation for a cup of coffee only proved that. They soon swarmed around her asking if she was alright.

"I am fine I just woke up late is all." Aurelia assured them when strong steps stole the groups attention. "Did you eat?" Thomas asks as he walked down the stairs looking better than he did yesterday still the scratches and bruises but he's moving better. He had a cigarette in his mouth and his coat draped over his forearm. "I didn't get the chance to, no." Aurelia answers him, ignoring the sudden awareness of her heartbeat because of his presence. "Then you'll join me." He said with a tone that left no further questions, but Aurelia was not so easily persuaded. "Join you?" She quirked her brow a few of her girls snickering and nudging each other. "For breakfast. Just the two of us." He said putting his coat on, but Aurelia stood stiffer in her place with her cup in her hand. "Thomas, we are just friends and I have work to do." One of her girls pinched her side at the remark making Aurelia flinch slightly and swat the pincher away.

Thomas chuckled taking another drag and walked over to Aurelia; her girls scattering as he got close. He removed her cup from her grip causing her to put her hands on her hips in feigned annoyance. "Aurelia Cruz, would you please accompany me to breakfast and continue your work afterward." Thomas asks properly and is met with an angels laugh. "Asking me properly is a start, Thomas, but I'm still not convinced." Aurelia challenged which Thomas oh so secretly enjoyed. She isn't easy and he loves it, he can see why Ada enjoys her company and could also see Polly feeling the same. "You took care of me yesterday, Aurelia. Let me repay you." Thomas tries to convince her again. Her face softens at his reasoning. "You're not in debt to me for caring for you, Thomas." She assured him before grabbing his hand, for a moment both of them reveling in the warmth of it before pushing that aside. "Come on." Aurelia tugs at his hand. "Girls, we will be back after breakfast." She said to them with a smile, a smile her girls have seen only a few times on the face of their angel.