Chapter Thirty-Six

It's been two weeks since that morning and Thomas Shelby is at his sister's home in London writing a letter to the press stating his family's innocence and Chester Campbells lawlessness

It's been two weeks since that morning and Thomas Shelby is at his sister's home in London writing a letter to the press stating his family's innocence and Chester Campbells lawlessness. "I made you one anyway, you ignorant git." Ada says placing a cup of tea on the table in front of her brother. "Ada, wait. Come sit." He asks of her, and she complies with a roll of her eyes. "If anything happens to me today, I want you to mail this, it's already got a stamp. Just some last-minute things about uh insurance." He says handing her the letter. "I also what you to make sure that if anything does happen, Aurelia and Marianna are taken care of." He says not looking at her, the thought of leaving them behind nearly made him want to back out of the whole thing. "Tommy..." "Promise me you'll make sure they're alright, Ada." He said looking her in the eyes, she could see it. For once in her life, she saw that he cared so deeply it scared him. "I promise." She assured him and he nodded his head as if mentally checking the mother and daughter's security off his list while trying to keep his nerves as bay. Just then Ada's flat mate walked in dressed for the day. "You ready?" Thomas asks him and cued a flurry of questions from Ada until the two left for Alfie's bakery.

Aurelia was in her office when her phone rang. "The Haven Club this is Aurelia Cruz speaking." She answered the phone politely. "Aurelia! It's Winston, I have some information from my spy about today that I believe you should know." Winston Churchill then divulged how he had an insider in 'The Right Hand' the moment he had been told that Chester Campbell had required their assistance in the murder of a Thomas Shelby. "I have one of my men with the group going to carry out his assassination, he will keep your friend safe." Winston assured the angel. "Thank you, Winston. You have no idea what this means to me." She said with a hand to her rapidly beating heart. "Aurelia, you and your girls have become dear friends of mine it is only fair I help when a friends loved one is in need." He says and Aurelia is taken aback by the outwardly expression of the word love, but she doesn't comment on it she only thanks Winston once more and invites him to their next burlesque night.

Once she hung up the phone with Mr. Churchill, Aurelia couldn't think straight. Her mind constantly on Thomas' well-being and needing to be sure Winston's plan didn't go wrong and the only way for her to feel any form of peace was to be there at Epsom. She grabbed the phone and called a cab to take her from The Haven to derby day whilst putting on her coat with hurry. "Dougie I have some business to tend so you're in charge for now tell your mother I'll be home late and use her spare key to get in the house 'til I'm back, James take my messages please I'll get to them later!" She yells racing out the door as she walks out the cab pulls up. "Car for a Ms. Cruz?" The driver asks and Aurelia nods her head getting in giving the man a small pile of notes that were far more than the price of the drive to Epsom. "Epsom, please, and make haste." She asks and soon the driver headed her off to the derby. "Say, miss, why the rush to go to the derby?" The cabbie asked and while Aurelia was very caught up in rising pain and overwhelming emotion, she kept her answer simple. "The man I love has a horse competing." She said and while it was the truth that wasn't why she was going, she realized that she loved Thomas and if this truly was his last day on earth, he deserved to know that she loves him, that someone has purely loved him with no alternative motives.

She got into the Darby quite easily, apparently, it's an honor to have the Angel of London attend their races. She walked around looking for him anywhere but only came across him as he was rushing up a flight of stairs. "Thomas!" She called and for a moment Tommy swore he imagined her voice in his state of anxiety but when he turned and saw her making her way towards him, he nearly couldn't believe it. "Aurelia? What are you doing here? It's dangerous I have business-" "I know, I know but I had to tell you before it was too late. I love you, Thomas Shelby. You're loved, and I know there's a chance I won't see you after today but if that is true you need to know that." She said and the words stunned him, he's felt her love and his own for her but neither ever dared to say it. It was foolish to him now, to waste so much time not telling her that he loves her, that he's so absolutely in love with her he nearly wanted to drive himself to the asylum to have his head checked but he didn't know if he could say it now. If saying that he is insanely in love with her was fair to her and he ever only wanted to be fair and good to her. He settles on one last passionate kiss for his goddess and hastily rushing to the next part of his plan. "I will find you later. Whatever happens I will find you." He says to her in a promise before leaving.

Aurelia stood stunned for a moment before going to the betting floor and sitting at the bar. She didn't know what to make of that kiss or his promise, she was a bit disappointed, but he seemed rushed, and Thomas has never seemed rushed to her. Perhaps his plan was going awry and that made her sick to her stomach "White rum, please." Aurelia orders at the overcrowded bar feeling the need to drown her nerves for a moment she heard the announcer call everyone to the track to watch but Aurelia stayed there at the now vacant bar top.