Chapter Forty

When Aurelia walked into work the first person she saw was Doug

When Aurelia walked into work the first person she saw was Doug. "Oh, Dougie could you call your mother later and let her know that we are having a celebration tonight right here in the Haven, bring Elizabeth and bring Mari from school." She said to him and he nodded. "Sure thing Aurelia." He said with a smile. "Good I'll go tell the others." She said taking off her coat. She walked further into the club and stopped in her tracks when she saw the group of people eating at several tables. One by one they all noticed her except for the children who were running around and then finally the eldest in the family stood from her seat and slowly walked towards Aurelia with tears in her eyes. "Conejita? (Bunny?)" At the old nick name Aurelia in took a deep shaky breath before engulfing her aunt in a hug as tears poured down her face. " Lo siento, Tia, lo siento! (I'm sorry, Aunt, I'm sorry!)" Aurelia cried into her aunt's shoulder and her aunt hushed her. Aurelia was sorry for abandoning her family for her father's sake, for leaving them after her mother had left them aswell.

Not an ounce of Aurelia's Aunt, Valentina, blames Aurelia for what happened after the death of Aurelia's mother, Valentina's sister.  When Aurelia pulled away from her Aunt she looked at all her cousins and was pleasantly surprised seeing all of them there. "Ronaldo! Oh my god look at you! Maria, Julian, Nadia, Antonia, Miguel oh you're all here!" She said hugging each of them. "And we brought our kids." Maria said pointing to the three kids running around playing tag on the dance floor. "The little boy chasing the two girls is Edwardo, he's mine. His father is the man right there next to Tio Franco, his name is Jesus." Nadia said, she was younger than Aurelia by two years. "The two girls are Julian's twins, Adela and Anna. He had them with Sarah over there and she has another on the way. You remember Sarah? He's been in love with her since he was seven?" Maria said and Aurelia gasped grabbing Julian's arm. "Little Sarah Garcia?! The girl you would pick dandelions for every day?! Oh my god, Julian she finally caved!" Aurelia said pinching her cousin's cheek making him laugh and push her hand away as the rest of the family laughed as well. "What about you Ronaldo still flying solo?" Aurelia asked nudging her cousin he was the only one older than her.

"Still looking prima, still looking." He said making his mother scoff. "Please, so many beautiful women and yet I have no grandchildren from you. I'm not getting any younger!" Valentina said putting her hands on her hips starring down her son. "Mama!" Ronaldo said as his mother embarrassed him. "What about Conejita? Why are you not pestering her about a husband and kids?" He says turning the attention to Aurelia. "Hey, I already have a daughter, primo." A gasp was heard from the women. "Why don't you have a ring? Where's your ring?" Maria asked and Nadia and Antonia searched her absent finger. "A daughter and no ring what kind of man this is?" Nadia asks a loud. "My man is perfect, for me. You all are staying here tonight; we are having a celebration you'll meet him and his family. You will love him, Tia." Aurelia promised and Valentina grinned as she sees the love in her niece's face as she talked about the man who has her heart.

"So why no wedding yet, eh?" Her cousin Miguel asked. "It's a complicated and upsetting story, let us just enjoy tonight and I'll tell you guys everything later. I promise." Aurelia vowed wanting to keep tonight happy for herself and for her family. "I'm so happy you all found me." Aurelia said giving more hugs as she changed the subject. "Uh, what's going on here?" Lilian asks from the steps, the rest of the girls behind her thankfully they were all dressed. "Oh, this is my family from Spain. Familia, this is the family I made here." Aurelia introduces her two families and from there they caught on like a house fire. The day continued and Aurelia called Alfie to let him know about the celebration it was like her life was fully falling into place. Eventually the band got there, music started, and everyone was dancing her aunt and uncle were even cooking in the kitchen.

Aurelia sat at a table with Sarah talking as she finished some paperwork. "So where is your little one?" Sarah asked shifting in her chair as she ran a stomach on her small bump. "School, she'll be here in a few hours." Aurelia said before pointing as Sarah's stomach. "Do you have any guesses for the gender?" Aurelia asks and Sarah nods. "I want a boy, but Julian wants another girl." Aurelia motioned for Sarah to stand up before going to help her stand. "Alright pull your dress tight behind you." Aurelia instructed and Sarah did as she said pulling the dress against her belly. "It's a boy. Girls steal their mothers' curves while you're pregnant and you still have yours." Aurelia said and Sarah smiled big before pulling her into a hug.

As everyone danced, sang, and drank the door opened and while no one stopped the celebration, but a few turned their heads to see who entered the party. In walks Alfie Solomons with a crate of bottled rum in his hands. "I see I have missed the start of the party, eh?" Alfie says and Aurelia smiles getting up walking toward her big brother. "Alfie!" She said with a smile hugging him after he put the crate on the bar. "Hello, ducky. How you been? How's me niece?" He asks looking Aurelia up checking for any injuries or bruises. "Great everyone's great. Alf, my family from Spain found me." Aurelia said with excitement and for a moment Alfie's heart plummeted.

Aurelia had permanently etched a spot in his heart as family and with her real family here he was afraid of being replaced. "Everyone this is my brother, Alfie, I told you about!" She screamed to the crowd and immediately all the women of the family came over greeting the tall Jewish man introducing themselves and getting him a drink and Antonia asked him for a dance, well she pulled the man to a dance despite his protests, and he was secretly grateful for Aurelia teaching him how. "Modest hands, brother!" Aurelia screamed at him reminding him to make sure his hands don't wander. "Fuck off, Auri!" He screamed making her laugh.

An hour later Elizabeth and Mrs. Goodwin walk in with Thomas following holding Marianna. "Momma!" Marianna screams wiggling out of her father's grasp before running to her momma. "Hello my baby!" Aurelia says picking her daughter up and planting a kiss on her cheek. Aurelia then said hello and introduced Elizabeth and Mrs. Goodwin to the room and when the girls saw both Marianna and Thomas they swarmed once again. "Who is this little linda (beauty)?" Valentina asks pinching Marianna's cheek making the girl giggle. "I'm Marianna." The little girl introduces herself with a proud smile. "Well, Marianna, we are your momma's family from Spain." From there Tia Valentina took little Marianna in her hands and pointed around the club to each family member and told her their names and what they are like.

Maria walked next to her cousin Aurelia and eyes Thomas up and down. "Who is this, cousin?" Maria asked making eyes at Thomas who looked a bit taken aback by all the people and Maria's flirting. "He's mine, prima. But he has a single brother." Aurelia said to her cousin who then widened her eyes. "Oh, so you're the mystery man!" Maria said giving Thomas once over again. "Thomas Shelby." Thomas says holding his hand out for a handshake which was dismissed by a hug and kiss on the cheek. "Welcome to the family, băiat alb (white boy)." Maria said after pulling away from Thomas. "Mulțumesc pentru primire. (Thank you for the welcome.)" He says back with a smile as another surprised look washes over Maria's face. "Oh, Momma's going to love him." Maria says before going and getting her turn to dance with Alfie.

Valentina had turned around with Marianna in her arms still and eyed Thomas in a far more intimidating way than Maria had. "Tia this is Thomas Shelby. Thomas this is my Aunt Valentina Flores." Aurelia introduces them and she was nervous, she wanted her aunt to approve and to welcome him into the family as easily as they have welcomed everyone else today because her Tia's approval is the closest, she would get to her mothers. Thomas held his hand out for a shake and Tia slowly took his hand whilst still observing the man. When Thomas' eyes met Aurelia's and Valentina saw the glint of love in them her smile widened, and she pulled Thomas by the hand into a hug. "Oh, welcome to the family hijo (son)." Valentina said patting Thomas on the back. "E frumos, iepurașule. (He's handsome, bunny.)" Valentina said to her niece who blushed, and Thomas chuckled. "Te poate înțelege, mătușă. (He can understand you, Aunt.)" Aurelia tells her Tia who pulls back and grins. "Darling, if you thought I couldn't spot a gypsy man from miles away you've forgotten just who the hell I am." Valentina says winking at her niece before introducing herself to Mrs. Goodwin and Elizabeth.