Chapter Twenty-One

Aurelia was surprised at Mrs

Aurelia was surprised at Mrs. Goodwin's excitement to take care of Marianna for a night while she goes to Birmingham. "You're going to see that man Dougie told us about, aren't you? Tobias something?" The woman asks Aurelia in a giddy tone. "Thomas. Thomas Shelby. He's a business partner so I am going to support an ally." Aurelia tried convincing herself. "Oh, darling you're as stubborn as they come. You can like the man; Dougie says he hasn't seen you this way with a man ever. Not even with that secret little relationship with the singer." Mrs. Goodwin said grabbing Aurelias folded hands from her lap. "I know it's terrifying, especially when you have Marianna to worry about, but you are allowed to be selfish, darling." The woman almost pleaded with Aurelia, a mothers worry in her eye and the Angel couldn't say no to her or make any excuses. "What do I tell Mari?" She asks and the woman hugs her with excitement.

Two days later as the mother and daughter were eating dinner Aurelia spoke up. "Was school better today?" Marianna nodded as she chewed on a piece of chicken. "Good. Mi amor, you know how Ada and mommy are friends?" Aurelia started and received a hum in understanding from her child. "Well Ada has a brother who mommy is friends with, and Uncle Alfie does business with. He's opening a new business in Birmingham tomorrow night and wants mommy to see it; would you be okay spending a night with Beth and Mrs. Goodwin?" Aurelia felt guilty leaving her daughter with them just so she could have a night of drinking in Birmingham. "I get to do a sleepover at Beth's?!" the little girl exclaimed, and it lightened the guilt in Aurelia's heart a smidge. "Yes, just one night though and I'll call you in the morning. I'll be home by the time you get here from school." Aurelia finds herself reassuring herself more than her daughter once again.

"Is Ada's brother handsome?" Marianna asks catching her mother off guard. "Why do you ask?" Aurelia decides to question rather than confess. "If Ada is a princess, then her brother would be a prince and princes are always supposed to be handsome. So, is he?" Marianna innocently asks her mother once more. "He's very handsome and kind. He looks a little scary but so does Uncle Alfie. He's also very brave and strong, perhaps a little crazy as well." Aurelia laughed a little as she described Thomas to her little girl. Marianna saw a look in her mother's eye as she talked about this Thomas. Her momma has a crush on Ada's brother. "Ew! Momma you like a boy?!" Marianna says causing Aurelias face to blush. "No why do you think that?" Denial wasn't working with Aurelias four-year-old. "You like Ada's brother! You just called him handsome and strong, and you have this face like when Elizabeth talks about this boy Clarke that she likes." Marianna was a little too observant for Aurelia's liking right now so Aurelia decided to switch the conversation. "What toys do you want to bring to the Goodwin's for the sleepover?" Marinna started on which dolls and books she wanted to take with her, and Aurelia was relived didn't have to talk to her daughter about developing feelings for Thomas.

Thomas had just finished trying to straighten Arthur out, telling him to shut the door on the war like he did. But Thomas never did fully close that door, did he? War became a part of him, war killed who he used to be and possessed the shell it left behind. Now he stares at the drawer containing the white and black files and must tell Pol the news about her children. How her daughter is dead, and her son is with his adoptive mother who wants him nowhere near Polly. His Aunt walks in with their recent books in a bag and while she tries to hide her eager nerves Thomas can still see them and it makes what he is going to tell her that much more difficult. After she gives him the book and lights her cigarette, he takes out the files.