Chapter Twenty-Five

Warning: Explicit and Detailed Description of Birth

Tonight, Thomas doesn't dream of the war and Aurelia doesn't dream about Steven. Aurelia does however dream of the day she had her daughter.

Aurelia's stomach was too large for her to see her feet as she waddled from her office to the bar with her stacks of paperwork. It was the mid-morning, and her office chair was hurting her back, so she decided she rather stand at the bar instead of sit. "You sure it's okay I leave? What if something happens?" Dougie asks putting on his hat and coat. "Dougie your mother needs you home; Alfie will be here in at the end of the day I will keep the door locked now go." Aurelia says firmly to her friend and employee. "Alright. See you tomorrow boss." He says giving her a hug and waving at the bump as if saying bye to the baby. After almost an hour longer of work Aurelia feels a pain in her abdomen that makes her stop and hold her belly in pain.

"God, I hate these fucking Braxton Hicks things." She curses. "Bebe (Baby), take it easy. Tio (Uncle) Alfie will be here in a few more hours." Aurelia talks to her round belly getting the feeling of her child kicking and moving. Fifteen minutes later she got another contraction that lasted longer than the first. "Dios mio (My God) ... Oh!" She started taking deep breaths and shifting side to side. This happened one more time before Aurelia started to panic. "Please be okay. Please, please." She started crying and begging to whatever God was listening. The pain had taken her to her knees clutching onto the bar, the pain was too much to move. After an hour of fifteen-minute increments of pain the contractions got closer and closer. "Santa María, madre de dios, reina por nosotros: por favor ayúdame y a mi hijo." (Saint Mary, Mother of God, Queen of us all: please help me and my child.)

By hour three Aurelia was laying on the floor her back against the bar trying to breathe through the pain when she felt a large pool of liquid between her legs. She lifted the skirt of her dress up to her hips to check on what it was, begging for it to not be blood. When there was no red and only vast amounts of clear liquid Aurelia knew what was happening. "Oh god." She gasps. Aurelia realizes that she's in labor, all alone. She acts before she thinks and removes her shoes, stockings, and underwear. She then crawls to the side of the bar where there is a stack of clean towels, and she grabs an armful before sitting up against the bar again. "It's okay, I can do this. I can do this. I-." She was interrupted by her own scream as another contraction hit.

She felt her baby's head shift to her cervix and start pushing against it with every contraction, so she took it as a sign to push. Groaning, sweating, and crying Aurelia kept pushing until she felt the baby's head come out. She quickly placed her hands behind her child's head and kept pushing, ready for this to be over and to have her beautiful baby in her arms. With three more minutes of pushing Aurelia gave birth to her baby girl and got her crying so she knew her daughter was breathing. "Hello, mi amorcita. I'm your momma. I love you so much." She says wrapping her crying daughter in a towel, umbilical cord still uncut. With what little strength Aurelia had left she stood, leaning on the bar for support, and grabbed their sharpest knife cutting the spongey cord herself before sitting back down on the floor in pure exhaustion.