Chapter Ten

Thomas was intrigued by the Spanish woman, sure, but a crush is childish and he doesn't have those anymore. He wants to know her is all, he doesn't need another woman coming in and destroying the parts of himself he built back up like the last time, no he just saw an opportunity that just so happened to come in the form of an intimidatingly beautiful Hispanic woman but that was all. Aurelia shoved her thoughts of the Brummie away after the call no matter how many chills the sound of his deep voice sent down her spine, she was a mother and businesswoman, and Thomas was just an opportunity that came in the form of a dangerously handsome gypsy man. She dove into her work once again shaking off the thoughts of her newest 'friend' and replacing them with numbers. After a few more hours Aurelia finished the bills and payment for all her employees including her newest security members in sharp peaked caps. Handing the weeks' pay to each person and going on her merry way home to wait for her daughter to come back from school.

There was an unspoken certainty between the two now, they secretly and separately agreed; promising to themselves to not let the other know that they became very aware, that the other was attractive. They weren't fucking blind: Thomas could see that the curviness of her body, her big hazel eyes, and the nearly perfect way her accent compliments her velvet voice is sexy; she is sexy. Aurelia found it obvious that Thomas' strong muscular build, sky blue eyes, diamond cutting jaw and deep slightly rasped voice makes hearts melt and women swoon. And to them, as long as no one knew that Thomas Shelby found Aurelia Cruz almost completely hypnotic, and Aurelia Cruz found Thomas Shelby nearly irresistible it was fine. That the only thing that kept one from being completely taken with the other is their own stubborn minds building barriers around their horribly damaged hearts.

One could argue their control and annoying stubbornness makes them even more suited for one another, but Aurelia is a single mother and Thomas is a bachelor. Aurelia must think of her daughter first, and she's sure a man like Thomas in their life will do more harm than good. She refuses to get personally mixed up in his type. She already was married to an abusive bastard; she didn't want to find out if Thomas was like Steven or if any man was like Steven for that matter. Thomas is still sore from the heartbreak that is Grace Burgess on top of the horrors war has brought him, it's also not like he grew up in the best of circumstances either. He was so cautious of Aurelia because his past has taught him that even angels can lie. While he knows she's secretive he wants to know why, he craves to know why the angel sins in the form of secrecy and lies. Maybe if he found Aurelia's secret, he would feel redeemed for not knowing Grace's.

The following days Aurelia's life had been nearly routine, while Thomas' had been the complete opposite. Campbell had seemed to return with a vengeance and new alliances, Thomas also needed to make a business trip to Camden Town for his meeting with Alfie Solomons, who at the moment was sitting in Aurelia's living room with his niece perched on his lap playing with the new doll Alfie had gotten made to her likeness. Aurelia was making food for the three of them as uncle and niece played and talked. Then the phone rang and with a perplexed expression Aurelia dried her hands and answered the call. "Hello?" "Would've thought it be harder to reach you at home." Thomas' rasped voice reached Aurelia's ears. Instantly she became worried that he knew her address since he was able to call. "How did-?" "You're the only Aurelia Cruz in London." He didn't let her finish, he honestly felt a bit accomplished, like he had chipped away at her guard a bit more by finding her at home. "All I had to say was Aurelia Cruz, London and I got you." She could hear it in his voice, he was proud of himself for calling her at home, catching her off guard. "Good to know. So why the call, Thomas?" She asked, a bit annoyed but also impressed with his dedication. "Can I not call to chat with my friend?" He asked his voice in complete seriousness but they both knew he was teasing.

Aurelias blood temped to rush her cheeks, but she resisted. "I suppose, but I also have a feeling you don't call just to chat with your other friends." She raised a brow. The sound of her seemingly talking to herself raised Alfie's concern so he set his darling niece down and to introduce her new doll to her others and walked over to the kitchen where he saw his sister on the phone, a playful expression etched on her face. "I don't have any other friends." Thomas said quoting his aunt, part of Aurelia believed him but there was still that small part of her that claims he's just pulling her leg.

"What do you need, Thomas?" She asks softer, she was talking to him more like a friend and that softness her voice melted into nearly melted Thomas entirely. Her downy voice relaxed him, and he was silently grateful. Thomas didn't know why he called her, perhaps subconsciously he knew she would at the very least distract him for a moment. "I wanted to tell you I might stop by the club after my meeting." Thomas spoke what explanation popped into his head fastest. "Might? Well, I won't hold my breath." She jokes and Alfie finally captures her attention as he leans cross armed against the doorway with scrunched brows. "I have to get back to cooking dinner, Thomas. Hope your meeting goes well." She says trying to wave Alfie away. "Thank you, Aurelia. Have a goodnight." He says and both fight the urge to keep speaking as they hang their phones.

"Anyone ever told you you're too damn nosey for your own good!" Aurelia says slapping Alfie with a towel as he laughed. "This why you want to help him with business?" He asked dodging her light abuse. "Is what why?" She asked turning back to the food on the stove. "Ya want 'im. You like the fucken pikey." Alfie says to tease her while also thinking of ways to intimidate Thomas Shelby so that he knows that fucking over Aurelia would be the last mistake he'd every make in his life. "No, we are friends based on a clause in a contract. Yeah, Alf, he's attractive but he's only trouble and I don't need that for Mari." She said revealing everything Alfie needed to know. He let her be in denial, but he had to admit that it was nice seeing her smitten, even though it was only a small attraction. "Should I scare 'im during the meeting? Make 'im fucken terrified, yeah?" Alfie asked stroking his beard. "Don't think you could." She murmurs to herself as she went back to tending to the meal. "Now get your niece and sit down the food is done." She ordered.