Chapter Thirty-Seven

"So, is the plan that you'll stay together forever? Or, perhaps, she'll whore for you and take her husband's money

"So, is the plan that you'll stay together forever? Or, perhaps, she'll whore for you and take her husband's money. Is that the plan?" Campbell asks Thomas who keeps a straight face looking at the bottles lining the back wall. "Oh, you must need me to be specific on who I'm referring to?... Grace. How wrong I was about her. Though I must say Aurelia Cruz is quite the looker, her being a Spic aside." Campbell says getting cocky. "I was wrong about Grace as well." Thomas says doing his best to ignore the comment about his Aurelia before a beat passes. "You once said to me, that men like us can never be loved." He brings up. "The Angel loves me. She told me. She loves me." Thomas teases in monotone. "All you've got is a bullet and a fucking wolf head cane." The blinder points out lastly. "Well, bully for you. This I know: Despite the love of an angel, ahead of you is damnation, but I have the love of God and the certainty of salvation." At that utter load of crap Thomas downs his whiskey and finally faces the piece of scum. "I know what you did to Polly. And I know what happened to Michael in jail." He says walking slowly to the fucking worm himself. To Thomas it was as if he was facing Aurelia's ex husband all over again and he wanted to tear Campbell apart, but he remembers his angel's words that day and plays them over in his head now. "Today, it will be me dead or you. But whoever it is, he'll wake up in hell tomorrow. However, only I would be dying loved by not only my family but by my woman." Thomas says and when Campbell had no retort the gangster smirked and left Campbell in his place stirring in his own self-loathing.

There had been an emergency and some people flooded the bars again whilst others left. Apparently, there were gun shots near the Kings box and the place was on lock down. Aurelia was on her third glass of rum drinking it slowly when a woman in a red dress stood next to her. "Aurelia Cruz. Haven't seen you round since.....well since uh." "Since before your husbands passing. My condolences, May, I know how you cared for him." Aurelia says to her old friend. "I never did thank you or your girls for keeping my, well our secret." May said to Aurelia in a low tone. "Of course. What are friends and former brothel owners for?" Aurelia said tipping her glass to the woman before taking a big gup of her drink. "Aurelia." May tests the taste of the name on her lips like it was the first time she ever truly appreciated its flavor. "I did always like your first name. It's unique." May said getting closer to Aurelia, admiring the Spanish beauty. "Yes, well, my mamma picked it. Means golden." Aurelia says and May makes the connection between her business partner, Thomas Shelby, and the angel whose girls made May Carleton finally feel alive. "Shame, here I was thinking I could capture the angel's heart. The devil has already done it." May says as her fingers dance up Aurelia's arm making her smile. "You're a special woman, May. We may have had our own fun once or twice, but you know as well as I that there was no love there." Aurelia said making the trainer laugh. "I suppose you're right. It is funny though, Thomas Shelby asked me if I wanted to fuck him in our first business meeting and I couldn't help thinking he sounded just like you. Now I know why." May said before walking away with a smile.

Minutes later Aurelia heard a gun shot near the phone booths when she saw Polly walking out with blood on her mid-section, she ran to cover the woman. "Aurelia dear how nice to see you." Polly said in some euphoric haze. "Polly, are you hurt? Were you shot?" Aurelia asks looking the woman over as they walked back to the bar "I killed him. He can't touch me again." Polly said and Aurelia understood so she took her coat off and put it around the woman covering the blood on her dress coat. "Here don't want you being found with blood on you. Let's go, I'll call us a cab to Ada's." Aurelia said ushering the woman away while the love of her life was being arrested and driven out to the country side nearby.