Ep 7: I'm looking at it now and I..., Final

The scene cuts off at that, shifting to a graveyard. Kunikida lays a pile of flowers on a gravestone to offer his respects.

"Who were these people? Are these the graves of the victims?" Asks a soft voice as the screen focuses on the flowers.

Her sickly sweet voice disgusted the older blond detective.

Sasaki stands next to the crouching Kunikida.

"Yes." Kunikida is quiet and respectful as he stands to allow her to place her flowers. "When I first caused casualties during a job, I cried so much I couldn't get up. I need time off from work. But now I don't shed a single tear for them, they have run dry. Instead I come to their graves. I see my visit as a kind of trade so I can move on."

Everyone has their own way of dealing with the cost of their work. This was Kunikida's way of doing something to grieve the lost life. Soon Atsushi will need a way to cope with the loss; whether it was on him or not didn't really matter; a loss was a loss. Loved ones that never got to say goodbyes and dreams left never fulfilled. Death was cruel and fair. She knew all too well that feeling, but unlike Kunikida, she was to blame. Yosano reaches up to her golden butterfly tracing the engravings. Forever atoning for her wrongs. She wanted to laugh cause Mori would never feel the need to atone for his actions during the war.

Doctor Mori watched from his seat Yosano's response to the words said on the screen. She couldn't let it go. He wondered if she ever stopped seeing their faces. He had long ago forgotten all the patients he failed to save and the people who died from his orders. He gazed shifted at his other apprentice, who he found was looking back at him. The doctor could see the anger under his molten stare. No, he didn't regret nor feel anything for those he had led to their death.

"I often wonder about that," asks Sasaki, her voice wavering, "Do our tears do anything for the dead?"

"No, they mean nothing but a waste of time. We are the only ones clinging onto their memory." Uncharacterly, Tachihara murmured, and almost no one heard him, but Atsushi did and he saw the looked of pure grief that took hold of the older's face. The weretiger didn't know what to make of it, but he knew what he should do to ease the pain. Gently, he pulled Tachihara and gave him a side hug and a kind smile, which Tachihara slowly mirrored back at him.

"Our tears are useless," sighs Kunikida, "At least that's how I see it. He has to be honest for them and for us; their time stops the moment their lives do."

"I'm feared I wasn't honest when I told Dazai how my relationship ended." Sasaki starts, "My significant other partered ways cause he die."

"I see."

Sasaki smiles bitterly, "What you said was true. When someone dies, time no longer has meaning for them. No matter what I do for him now, I can't make him happy," A close-up of Sasaki's lower face is shown. "or make him smile."

A bell chimes in the background. Kunikida slowly turns to her, and she continues to stare out. She continues, "I didn't want to bring this up..." The professor turns to the ex-teacher. "Anyway, I really must go." She bows. "Excuse me." She turns and walks away.

"Goodbye."

Kunikida opens his mouth to speak to her but his phone rings, interrupting him.

"Moments that's all it was a moment maybe things would've been different if she had stayed..." Kunikida pondered looking at his notebook, the word Ideal staring back at him, almost mocking him.

"It isn't your fault." Dazai supplied.

"No, it is." He looked up at his partner, staring him dead in the eyes. "No, it's yours but I know it doesn't affect your sleep at all."